Sundown Audio

Stetsom Amps

jmsonoma03

Ok so say it's conceivable that you could get the all the power you needed into the input, then even less FET's then the other guys you could see the power they claim? Then If you assume their not using junk parts, it could stay together? Better parts could take more abuse?

Then take the 7K that is 2 boards now they have stepped up the inputs to 1/0 then the power wire on the inside was also stepped up, It would be safe to say that the 2 are getting a safer power supply then the 2 singles?

Wouldn't the 2 boards have a better time supplying power and sharing heat thus making it more efficient? and stronger? I've been reading like a fool tonight on the different types of amps and the class D is starting to see as much as a 95% or more efficiency

Well, you would need to draw 240-250 amps out of a 4 gauge wire to get the necessary current, which would really mess with things.

But looking past that, IF they are using some superior quality parts, then perhaps 3kw could be possible. Either way, I wouldn't want a 3kw amp with a 4 gauge input. That just screams trouble. Plus you would have to ditch the 175 amp internal fuse for a solid piece of copper or perhaps a larger fuse (one that is rated for more current than a 4 gauge wire could handle).

As for the 7k being safer, not necessarily. By looking at the pictures posted, it is evident that the internal wiring for each board is only 4 gauge, the same as a normal 2K. Thus, they theoretically have the same power inputs, there's just 2 amps in one case.

2 boards would definitely have an easier time supplying the SAME power, but the 7K is rated for double of what the 2K is supposedly capable of. Afterall, it is two 2K's in one case.

I've never seen a class D amp that is 95% efficient, unless you are talking about some exotic brands. I have seen as much as 90% out of a kicker zx2500 because it had a decent electrical setup and was being ran safely at 2 ohms. I would say that a safer bet is to assume ~80-85% efficiency and in some cases thats still too much.

Team B2, Team Audiotechnix, Team Kicker, Team XS Power, Team Sundown, Team Maxxsonics, Team DD2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, S2, S3, S4, DB1) -1 DD 9510F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ .7 ohm strapped=154.2 headrest, 129.2 driveby-2 DD 9510F's + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=154.0 headrest-1 DD 9512F + 2 Sundown SAZ2500's @ 1 ohm strapped=153.5 headrest, 131.1 Driveby

-2 DD 9512F + 2 B2 Zero1's @ .5 strapped= 157.0 headrest, 158.0 outlaw-1 Sundown SA-8 + 2 MB Quart 2000's=148.8 headrest, 150.6 outlaw

Guest MegaloManiac

Doesn't this just prove KingSUV's point that all the hate is coming through personal experience with Alan.

no, its in plain black and white now: you can not run 7000watts of power through 2500 watt parts, it will fail.

so get your facts straight before you assume

well i thought i would fit in since it seems like all you guys are doing is assumeing what you HEARD is right

Tommyk

there is test result after test showing the 7kd will do just that so were are your tests showing that it wont with those parts???

but for how long can it produce it?

If you don't believe the person selling the product, then you aren't going to buy it. That's common business/sales knowledge.

You have to sell yourself, not just the product.

Alan dante is an asshole and any company that supports such a rude, arrogant, egotistical assbag such as him doesn't deserve respect. I don't care if they make the most superb products in the world. Ask any person not associated with stetsom/alan himself and they will all tell you the same thing.

Also, you avoided my component question once again. How can you justify building a "7000 watt" amp with one set of 1/0 inputs, a miniscule number of fets, and 350 amps of internal fusing? That makes absolutely no sense. The components on ONE of the 2k6d's aren't even comparable to a decent 1500 watt amp, yet stetsom claims 3500 out of it?

I'm interested to see the new products. I can only hope they are better than the current amps.

Yes its like the same story with eD, IMO i think eD is finally changing there ways some, its a step up, which is good.

also 40.1 does like 3800 watts and it has DUAL 1/0 awg inputs.

well we just use our heads and fab up a lil piece to take 3 1/0's in so your ???? means nothing to me

i dont know why they went with that style... i never asked so i never awnsered you maybe to keep cost down

Now we have to be engineers to use their amps? :lol:

Probably because they couldn't fit it on the case since they shoved two boards into an undersized heatsink.

Hopefully they took care of that problem with the new amps.

You shouldn't have to come up with some ghetto rigged shit just to make sure your amp doesn't melt your wiring.

What about the fets?

350 amps of fusing?

Regardless, I don't care what they change. As long as alan is as vocal about them as he has been, stetsom won't get anywhere near my vehicles. I mean honestly, look at the two loudest guys in the world.

Alan Dante, who goes around the forum bragging about how loud he is and he's the greatest and stetsom is the best, blah blah blah. Not to mention the fact that if you try to ask him a question he gets all arrogant and refuses to answer questions. Hell, I remember one guy at db drag finals that actually CONGRATULATED alan while in the lanes and alan turns to him and says something along the lines of "who are you? Do you even know what's going on here? Why don't you get lost". What kind of bullshit is that? All the kid did is give him props and dante treats him like a piece of shit.

Then you have scott owens. Completely reserved and humble, willing to answer anyone's questions, leaves his vehicle wide open, and doesn't go around forcing pioneer down everyone's throats. He doesn't post a bunch of shit on the forums, he just goes to shows and posts his numbers.

Who do you think deserves more respect? Who is the true competitor?

Granted, that really doesn't reflect upon stetsom in terms of their products, but it does reflect upon their company image which is just as (if not more) important.

My friend said Scott Owens is an a-hole too, he said he felt a lot of cockyness coming from him, but idk just thought to to throw it out there

Guest MegaloManiac

i dunno how you fab shit up but our shit aint ghetto maybe you should call up stetsom and ask these questions i dont build the fucking amps

i just run em and there the strongest badest amps i have played wit

the comment is thick headed of you. Would it help if meade says the amp sucks? :lol:

what does personal shit have to do with the amps??? of course your gonna find some thing you dont like about the amp cause your bring that persnol shit there

he reps the company does not build the shit so rate the amp not the man

Tommy and I have told you where the amp is poorly designed, it was a bonus that tommy knows in his opinion alan is an asshole.

well thats your Opinion and thats fine you dont like them fine the guy asked if the 26kd puts out 3000 watts IT DOES

should be end of story

good story :rolleyes:

Where would one find the relation of power inputs to useable power?

I know there will be a loss of draw over a length of wire but how does that translate to inputs?

Whats the maximum amperage draw one would see in a 4G input?

If a fuse can see a % of draw over it's rated size, how much power could you really draw through the fuse?

the average true 1/0awg wire can handle only 300 amps of current at short length(big 3 length), but a longer length to back of a car/truck it can handle only 250a.

even then you cannot pass 250a of solid current through a single line of 1/0awg for extended periods of time, i think continuous time is like 180ish amps, i dont remember exact. either way that being said i cant imagine 3000 watts or 7000 watts passing through 4awg wiring easily if that at all.

that shows the 26kd out burbing 2 sundown 1500d's just useing the watts as a comparison thats 3000 outs sundown so how is the stetsom louder with less watts?

notice the current draw ;)

good clean discussion, please keep it that way, and it can continue till your blue in your faces, please dont bash, please be nice.

please educate.

This thread has been good, i love these debates it makes the boards worth wild at times.i hate to see it get closed too.

Ok so say it's conceivable that you could get the all the power you needed into the input, then even less FET's then the other guys you could see the power they claim? Then If you assume their not using junk parts, it could stay together? Better parts could take more abuse?

Then take the 7K that is 2 boards now they have stepped up the inputs to 1/0 then the power wire on the inside was also stepped up, It would be safe to say that the 2 are getting a safer power supply then the 2 singles?

Wouldn't the 2 boards have a better time supplying power and sharing heat thus making it more efficient? and stronger? I've been reading like a fool tonight on the different types of amps and the class D is starting to see as much as a 95% or more efficiency

well IMO this just hows a variety things.

1. amps are internally strapped, so when "Actually" strapping 2 of there amps together you have 4 strapped amps....higher probability of failing

2. its obvious whomever "designed" the amp is lazy, incompetent, and doesn't care. Its like they think they can throw a bunch of parts together and hope it turns out fine. Kinda like Adessa Audio lol

now team basick: this leads me to believe you aren't getting all the power you say you are getting, how do you know if you are getting all that power?

Well, you would need to draw 240-250 amps out of a 4 gauge wire to get the necessary current, which would really mess with things.

But looking past that, IF they are using some superior quality parts, then perhaps 3kw could be possible. Either way, I wouldn't want a 3kw amp with a 4 gauge input. That just screams trouble. Plus you would have to ditch the 175 amp internal fuse for a solid piece of copper or perhaps a larger fuse (one that is rated for more current than a 4 gauge wire could handle).

As for the 7k being safer, not necessarily. By looking at the pictures posted, it is evident that the internal wiring for each board is only 4 gauge, the same as a normal 2K. Thus, they theoretically have the same power inputs, there's just 2 amps in one case.

2 boards would definitely have an easier time supplying the SAME power, but the 7K is rated for double of what the 2K is supposedly capable of. Afterall, it is two 2K's in one case.

I've never seen a class D amp that is 95% efficient, unless you are talking about some exotic brands. I have seen as much as 90% out of a kicker zx2500 because it had a decent electrical setup and was being ran safely at 2 ohms. I would say that a safer bet is to assume ~80-85% efficiency and in some cases thats still too much.

I completely agree that The 4g wire linking the 2 boards was a not a good idea either. Maybe it worked fine for burps? I do know they have changed to a single board so I would think they have addressed that issue.

You said earlier that a fuse could withstand 200% or so of the rated fusing, So it would stand to reason, that for short bursts, the amps could do what they claim even with the lack of power wire and internal fusing.

So now whats the concerns for this amp daily? I don't know about other people, but I don't run my truck full tilt all day. And I would have a hard time thinking other serious competitors do either.

Are you saying that I couldn't use this amp at reasonable volumes all day?

How much amperage draw are we talking for an amp thats not pushing full tilt?

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Tommy and I have told you where the amp is poorly designed, it was a bonus that tommy knows in his opinion alan is an asshole.

Jacob(from Sundown), actually took 1 7kd apart and looked at all the components, he said it was clear that the fets are undersized.

I think you are right that a lot of the shit stirring comes from Alan's camp.

Is there anyone not deep rooted in another company that has taken a serious look at the amp?

Not bashing, but it seams that everyone that is looking at the amp is from sundown. It's seams to me like we should have some input from people that are not affected in the pocket book look at the amp.

And when I say look at the amp, I'm not talking about some internet pics. I would like to see and talk to an expert in the matter.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I know a guy that is going to sell his 4KW here in the bay area, would you like me to ask him?

I was getting that 4kw for an extreme hook up

BUT, if you wann ask, go ahead, if its anywhere close to the price I was getting this one from, I might.

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I would like to see mead say the amps suck

But no it woulnt help

We know we are getting the power cause a 100000 clamp tests and yes there is a big current draw tell me a system that has 7000 watts and don't pull hella current

No one said the amp was perfect you can find stuff you don't like in any amp if your looking for it

So multi runs of 1/0 bus bars and the piece made for the amp to take more than 1 1/0 in makes up for all your stated short comings of the amp

Again I got no replys as for someone seeing one fail other than user error and ice only heard that one the fourms I've never seen one fail

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

if i knew anything about amp internals i would just buy one and analyze it, but im extremely green when it comes to internals....regardless, i honestly dont think i would buy just from what everyone says about alan....i mean can you imagine if people talked that way about sundown or FI on here...people wouldnt even go near their products...i just feel that there are at least equal amps out there in terms of power, maybe a little pricier, but still worth staying out of the mud fight for...

i likes me some audio stuff...

I think you are right that a lot of the shit stirring comes from Alan's camp.

Is there anyone not deep rooted in another company that has taken a serious look at the amp?

Not bashing, but it seams that everyone that is looking at the amp is from sundown. It's seams to me like we should have some input from people that are not affected in the pocket book look at the amp.

And when I say look at the amp, I'm not talking about some internet pics. I would like to see and talk to an expert in the matter.

I did I took it to amp guy all he does is repair and mod amps I took it there about a year ago when stetsom was not as known as it is know the guy never heard of them

Opened it up and he was impressed called it a race car and said I would have to run it like one

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Archived