Sundown Audio

large amp least dependent on electrical

cheebs

just a question. which of the larger amps say 3000 and up are the most efficent on a electrical system. i see a lot of specs based off of 14.4v but most systems i see when they are demoing i see the voltage meter at about 12.5v. granted their electrical might not be up to the task but i was wondering about that.

Regardless of efiviency, large amplifiers are still going to draw large amounts of current.

If you can't supply the right amount, you'll always have voltage drop. Though most systems have voltage drop becasuse the music plays in short burst instead of a pure sine wave, so the immediate need for power can't be deliver in that instance.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

a 3k that makes power at 12 vs 14v just means itll draw 300 ish amps at 12 and more at 14 unless its a regulated power supply then numbers will be close around the board

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

a 3k that makes power at 12 vs 14v just means itll draw 300 ish amps at 12 and more at 14 unless its a regulated power supply then numbers will be close around the board

true but the question is which amps are better at it. some amps have a larger drop from 14v to 12v.

true but the question is which amps are better at it. some amps have a larger drop from 14v to 12v.
this is like trying to find a needle in the haystack. I think each amp acts different in each set up and will perform different. A lot of factors can make a difference in the voltage drop. I say this from my own experience. I used to have a ma audio 4400 and wow did that thing suck up the life out of my batts keep in mind it wasn't even wired down to its lowest impedance. And there are other amps that can do more power than that amp with less current draw keep an eye on the class and if they have regulated power supply

Class G or H in theory, though practice says dont worry about it.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/class-g.htm

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

I've owned 4 3-4ks, and in order on the same electrical system, the powerbass xa-3000 was by far the worst. Talk about a power hungry beast, it puts out the wattage but it is HUNGRY. Next in like is the old rockford t30001bd's, clean 3k, but it had alot of draw as well, ended up blown after a few months.. First and last amp i've blown.

Then i bought a dc 3.5k, loved it, super clean, pretty efficient, with a d3400 up front and two 3100s in the back, i never saw lower than 12.8 after some good beatin down.. (Stock alt* as well). After i tore apart my last build i just ran a couple m3 8s on a 1.2k, great little amp, and i just bought a sundown saz3500 a couple weeks ago, and so far i havent seen below 13.8.. So far, it seems to be one of the most efficient amps i've owned

Technology has come a long way, and sundown amps are pretty mighty so far

Archived