Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Box tuning for SQ HDC 3


oldsoundguy

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a box built already that 2.84 sqf tuned to 35.3 HZ

I have been reading that most SQ HDC 3s like the boxes tuned higher like around 40HZ?

I was thinking of taking out some port to increase tuning.

Is tuning a box more for the sub your using, vehicle its in or size of box ect?

Only reason I want to do some tuning is that on a few songs I am getting what I would call a blowing sound out of the port and would like to maybe tune it out.

Thanks for any help.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Posted

What's your port area?

43.5sq" with a port length of 29 so It looks like I am a bit over on tuning. WIth the changes to the port I would raise my box to 3.0 Ft Then If I flip the sub back over ( not inverted) then I can lower the box to around 2.8 or so.

I was looking on SQ website and for one 12" in the box size I have I would need 44 sq" with a 20.5 port length

If I take the L port (part that runs along the back of the box) down to 2" in length I can get 43.5 sq 21 length and 38.2 HZ

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Posted

I doubt much of a difference will be heard with 3 Hz change in tuning. 35 Hz isn't bad, but redoing the box to get it a couple hertz higher probably won't do much difference. 35Hz is still a pretty reasonable tune and not radically low. Do you like the way it sounds as is? Or is it lacking somewhere for you?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

If it's port noise is what you are experiencing higher tuning will likely increase it, if your area is good, maybe your area ratio is not (a thin port), also for a 2.84 cubes net box a port 29 long and around 43 square inches of I get different tuning, maybe a Torres shot of that box would help.

Posted

If it's port noise is what you are experiencing higher tuning will likely increase it, if your area is good, maybe your area ratio is not (a thin port), also for a 2.84 cubes net box a port 29 long and around 43 square inches of I get different tuning, maybe a Torres shot of that box would help.

I used the 're audio box calculator. It says 28w 16h 17.5deep 3" w 28" l port = 35.099 tune. 43.5 square port area 28" port length

Can you check that for me? Thank you

Also I just got back from a test drive and I added 6" to the back port length. According to the box calculator that's 33Hz. Didn't like it. Didn't make much difference on rap bass but made the hard metal bass sound muddy or slower. Hard to explain. So I stopped on the side of the road and took it out. Much better. Both ways still had that port noise on money man by decaf etc. Not sure if I want to try going the other way and cut some port out or not.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3326 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...