89 C1500 Build log. 144 @ 28hz, loudest single cab w/o blowthru?

For your spray gun, you need to get some paint thinner or mineral spirits, you should clean the gun after every use to prevent build-up, if it is built up, you may have to disassemble it and clean the parts individually.

Very nice vinyl work though!!!

The system is coming along quite nicely.

I'm cheaper than that, will vinegar or ATF dissolve the DAP adhesive? Oh, I bought another spray gun as well. one for adhesive and one for paint.

Is there a post of a powder coating tutorial here? If not, I'll fins something on the tube.

Got an update coming later this evening, I still have some things to do right now, but later look for MOAR PIX!

And feel free to express your opinions, I value all comments.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

Here's that update mentioned earlier, there's some cool stuff and several fails as well. I really haven't gotten the hang of the tack up time for the DAP, the vinyl soaks up so much and takes very long to tack up, and the wood tacks up really fast. It's difficult to get this stuff to bond properly with the temperature changing so fast in the morning, the vinyl is apparently pretty sensitive to temp. anyway, I failed on the port pretty bad, and said fuck it and sprayed it and threw it in the truck.

Got 23 pics coming your way...

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

Just showing off ^_^

IMG_0018_zps9669f4e8.jpg

IMG_0020_zps05afdb6c.jpg

So I tried the cheap peel and stick 'vinyl' from Lowes...

IMG_0021_zps91282a9d.jpg

...and failed miserably. The DAP chemically reacted with the vinyl's adhesive and also the temperature was climbing (Thanks Texas)

This stuff is so thin and horrible, I'm tempted to throw the rest of the roll away, it's trash.

IMG_0022_zps2d40022c.jpg

So I tore it off and cut the gorgeous silver vinyl and began DAPing it. Went well.

IMG_0023_zps3d31e9d5.jpg

IMG_0024_zps3f964382.jpg

Came out very nicely, don't worry, I got that wrinkle at the bottom, it's all smooth.

IMG_0028_zps99a47852.jpg

Okay so the chrome was beginning to peel and flake off, so I went nuts and spent 4-5 hours removing all the chrome.

IMG_0025_zpsb0e12b27.jpg

IMG_0026_zpsdd613927.jpg

Primer-ed the port, I liked how nice and smooth it was after some 500 grit, very sexy smooth to the touch.

IMG_0027_zps606b8673.jpg

IMG_0030_zps82f27229.jpg

But then I saw my can of Matte Aluminum. I think it looks much better, like the port it made of hammered steel, really cool.

Can't touch it with sandpaper tho, it takes the silver sheen away with a single scratch.

IMG_0034_zps817b2afd.jpg

Gonna chop it here and continue with the rest of the pics.

Here's my latest build.

Most of that chrome was still good, so it took for-fecking-ever to get it all off. But now we ready for da primer, all washed up and purtty.

IMG_0029_zps338a4037.jpg

That's more like it!

IMG_0033_zps02405d18.jpg

Yeeeeee.

IMG_0032_zps1b61c609.jpg

Single coat of rattle can bedliner and presto! Brand new modern look for like 9 bucks and a lot of time.

IMG_0036_zpse0a17a60.jpg

Purtty!

IMG_0037_zps2ce360ab.jpg

So when I go to wrap the other side, I still don't know what I want to do with the transition from port to box.

This is the pitiful result, I'll fix it someday, but for now I just went with it.

IMG_0038_zpsb25f522a.jpg

IMG_0039_zps28d9cd66.jpg

Okay so the wrap on that side looks half assed, I really tried, but the DAP melted the Matte Aluminum and didn't stick what so ever.

I decided to sand it all down to wood and go with the Matte Aluminum and just staple the vinyl nearby, how ever it looked I would just go with it, I wanted to get this done today.

Time to drop them subs in there! I determined that a single round of the weather stripping was plenty, it held last time without a problem.

IMG_0040_zps2f2052d8.jpg

Went around the surface with a touch of Loctite spray adhesive, so there's more than just naked wood grain for the stripping to hold on to.

Pressed it all down nice and even, it looks fantastic.

IMG_0041_zps17ab5cf7.jpg

When it's squished flat, I'm sure no air is getting past that.

IMG_0042_zps2e1e6589.jpg

Last pic, I was so stoked to have it back together I only grabbed this one pic.

IMG_0043_zps08c840bc.jpg

So after me and mum get this oblong box into the truck(Perfectly without a single scratch, somehow), I get it all wired up, and it doesn't work.

I try everything, the amp is on, ran another RCA, continuity test with the multi meter, and I can't find it, so I pull the box and start taking the subs out.

I eventually track it down to the large negative terminal by the terminal cup. the wire had pulled out of the terminal, but I didn't see it because it was under heat shrink.

So I screamed in frustration, crimped the fuck outta it and ground my teeth, I didn't have to remove the box to fix it, and on the way back in, it tears the vinyl in two places.

That was so disappointing, I worked so hard to keep it scratch free, and now there's a gash in two places. :suicide-santa:

But I had it hooked up and running shortly after, and it beat harder than ever before. I guess the vinyl acted as a sort of sound damper, made the box a little more resilient acoustically, and I did a hair trick on my mom. A pretty good one too, her hair is pretty light.

Anyway, I get some gas and head to the local shop, and the look on Nick's face when I hit 23hz was totally worth it all. Their shop windows were flexing a lot, the doors too.

He walked inside to see what it sounded like inside the building, he came out laughing, "My installers are looking around like 'Who's shaking the building? '"

We chatted a bit about what I should do next to improve the setup, and then he had to get back to work.

I will have videos sometime, I want to do a solid distance test, a whole block away. Just need to get my buddy to hold the camera for me.

Oh I'll also get a snap or two of the grill, it looks fantastic, and when I get the HIDs, It'll look slick and modern.

Tell me what you think guys! I don't do all this just for the fun, I want your opinions, even if you criticize, it's all good.

Here's my latest build.

your work is lookin really good.

I cant believe you used a jack to remove the steering wheel

your work is lookin really good.

I cant believe you used a jack to remove the steering wheel

Well I tried, but it didn't work. I had that jack crank up really hard, the tow straps failed and it it still didn't budge.

Everyone who reads this! Make you life easier and buy a stinkin steering wheel puller!

I wanted to save a buck or two and tried for two days to get the wheel off,

Don't waste as much time as I did and go buy the puller, it's worth the 15 bucks, I promise!

I have to go do some stuff, but I want to clean up the truck and get you guys a few pix of the front, it looks a ton better than peeling chrome.

Looks factory too.

Here's my latest build.

You can rent the pullers

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

It didn't cross my mind to try and rent one. (now I feel a little dumb) Oh well, it was 15 bucks and a tool I can use many times if need be, and also the parts stores won't let you return a tool if you buy it, use it once, and clean it up all nice and pretty in the original packaging. So i'll keep it, I just initially felt I could do without.

Thank you N8. I'll remember that next time I have to get a specialty tool.

Here's my latest build.

Archived