Sundown Audio

Setting Gains

Nipsy06

I have 2 12" SDC 2.5 Audioque subs connected to a AQ1200D Audioque Amp. They are wired down to 1 ohm and play just fine. (Its all brand spankin new and have only been playing for 3 days now). Im just afraid that I will mess up my equipment due to clipping or whatever ruins audio equipment (Im very new to car audio) I tried to set my gains in this order. Turn all filters and eq off head unit (Pioneer DEH-2400ub).... play a 40hz test tone at listening level which is about 40 as the highest and connect leads from multimeter into amp pos and neg. I set my Multimeter to the one that has a dot with the 200 on the ohms side(new to multimeters 2) Heres a pic of the multimeter I own. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-Multimeter-10709/14521541 I turn all settings down and my multimeter jumps like crazy. I was told I had a bad ground. I then checked my ground using the multimeter by connecting a lead to the negative battery terminal and one to the ground. the meter reads 0.00. At this point I got frustrated and turned my gain half way between the 5v -15v on my amp setting (Straight up and down). I have the bass boost and subsonic off and the low pass filter set for that trunk to bang LOL . When Im hittin at a certain volume my clipping light on my bass knob will flicker but it wont stay on. just on the kick from the bass. Help What should I do to correct this or is everything just fine?

you dont tune the amp with the DMM on ohms. you set it to AC volts and stick the leads into the speaker output of the amp.

clipping light isn't accurate either. when it blinks you're not really clipping. sometimes when its solid on you're not clipping either. but if its solid red at like 1/2 knob and you turn it up to full, then you might be clipping.

You are where I was a few months ago. Best advice would be do a lot more research, use the search function, ask smart questions then pony up for the right equipment to set everything up correctly or find someone with the right equipment to help you. In my case I bought the DD-1 CC-1 combo and have no worries now.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Ok Kranny.... So What do I turn the knob on the multimeter to??? I know to press the button at the top left to from DC to AC at the top left but where does the knob on the multimeter go ??? 600, 200, 20, 2, 200m??? And what is AC Volts is that the side that has the -~V??? (If im understanding correct this is volts-~ and then I just press the button at the top left to AC) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-Multimeter-10709/14521541. (My Meter link) Also My clip light is never solid even if I turn it up while on listening volume It just blinks like crazy when the bass hits.( just on kick drums usually not long bass tones)

Watch this vid and you will understand what gains are for, how to set them correctly and why you can't use a dmm to set them.http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/180417-think-you-know-about-setting-gains/

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

gain pots on ur amp are ment to be used to match the voltage output on ur head unit any thing below a quater turn is a safe bet for some one with out a tool steve meade has the best meter made for match setting ur gains to ur head unit and multiple amp set ups but till u can get one ur best bet is to keep it around a quater turn no more then half way

To Be honest with you Im not looking for a dead on gain setting... I just dont want to blow my equipment... If I have to set that sucker under the amount and can still get a decent sound from it Im happy. Im not trying to win no competition or anything right now I just want my music to play. Gain on half way for me right now is fine. Honestly I know your suppose to wait 3 months and turn it up after the subs are broke in..... I will probably not even move it then im satisfied with it where it is now because I love my ears and I don't listen to it that much louder anyways

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hadnt seen the video before I edited this.... This is not a response to the posted video from oldsound guy I now understand how a dd1 can help set gains..... I just cant afford one right now. According to the video I see what you mean about understanding the gains but my apologies because I hadnt watched it yet.

Half way may be too much. You just can't be sure unless you know you max unclipped hu volume and then set the gain to that. It's not for competition or to be the loudest it's just the correct way. Don't understand how you can't understand that.

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

1200 watts at 1ohm should be right around 34.64v Just figure out your DMM.

Although there are tools like the DD 1, which I wish I had so I can see when and where my head unit, EQ and amps clip points are, you should be able to set gains with that DMM.

A lot of people on here will say all you need is the DD-1. When the new tool that measures watts (forget the model) that Steve had made comes out, thats a game changer!

If your amp is bigger than what the speakers can handle, you still need to set gains to where your not over powering the speakers, subs in your case. There is a formula to getting the target voltage. I believe (but could be wrong) its ohm X watt = ? Then the square root of ? is target voltage. I may be wrong with that formula but its something like that. I have a graph I go off of.

Chances are, you won't be clipping the amp if its capable of putting out more power than the subs can handle. If your pushing it to its rated power, maybe.

Either way, good luck bro.

Its not that I dont understand Its that Im new to setting up my own equipment. I came here because I found people that would help me and were understanding that I dont want to blow money for some other person who thinks they know what they are doing. BEFORE ANYONE GETS ON HERE TALKIN SMACK AND DONT PLAN ON BEING HELPFUL I RATHER YOU NOT SAY ANYTHING IF YOUR GOING TO DOWN ME DONT EVEN BOTHER POSTING THANK YOU!!! For everyone else thanks for your feed back and non negativity.

Archived