Second Skin Audio

Well. Let me join in. Need some direction for new enclosure!! lol

Turboelky

I'm headed outside to measure right after this post. But basically I have:

2 12" JL W7's running on a T1000BDCP at 1.5ohm

Currently they are in two separate ported boxes. I've tried them in sealed boxes, but the SQ is just as amazing with ported, but louder.

With that said, I would like to go with a ported enclosure, one shared port down the center. I'll be using a 1" front baffle and 3/4 for the rest.

I do want the back the same angle as my rear seats, but I don't have a measurement for that. I feel safe saying its about 70deg angle.

Here is a pic with the separate boxes, sounds great but its starting to bother me!! LOL.

370A5702-EBB2-4FE2-A3A1-E7DC0401AC1B_zps

Reason I want to keep the angle in the back, is of course to capitalize on the cubic space, and the amps are on a rack behind the boxes.

I was going to do two separate sealed boxes with a second battery or two between them, but I think I might ditch that and try to make under hood space for a second. Its in my TBSS so space is quite limited without sacrificing it being a neat install. I won't do it if it looks like crap.

Thanks in advance, be right back!!

AND SHOULD I STICK TO 32hz?? They sound great there.

Heres the dimensions:

46" WIDE

16" TALL

16" DEEP

^^^^^^^^

thats without the angle in the back.

With the angle in the back of the box, I can go:

46" WIDE

16" TALL

18" DEEP on the bottom, not sure what the top piece will be with the angle. Heres a pic of the rear seat so you can get an ideal of what I'm saying..

C3BF044D-7CB9-4A6E-9F99-AC6582CC0740_zps

That angle of the rear seat, I need on the box.

Your dimensions are insufficient, 18x46x18 would barely meet manufacturer's recommended airspace of 2.375 cubic feet per sub, the problem with the slanted back is that the shared port needs to turn (32Hz) and that's hard to do in a slanted back, 32Hz is nice on those sq oriented subs IMO, an output oriented box would be larger net airspace than recommended, like 2.6-2.8 cubic feet per sub to rated power (sure enough at some cost to SQ ).

Your dimensions are insufficient, 18x46x18 would barely meet manufacturer's recommended airspace of 2.375 cubic feet per sub, the problem with the slanted back is that the shared port needs to turn (32Hz) and that's hard to do in a slanted back, 32Hz is nice on those sq oriented subs IMO, an output oriented box would be larger net airspace than recommended, like 2.6-2.8 cubic feet per sub to rated power (sure enough at some cost to SQ ).

Thanks for the reply dude! These are the 12" W7's, they call for 1.75 cubic feet per. I think the 13" calls for that 2.37 cubes. But you make a very valid point that I did not consider, the slanted back and porting. I didn't think of that, but there has to be a way. Maybe the port on the bottom of the box would be an option? If you can help that would be well appreciated. And the SQ in the current ported boxes is still really good, just about as clean as they sounded in the sealed pro wedge original box, but ported they get pretty loud too. Thanks again man!

seems like you are happy with the sound but not happy with the look? Maybe just make a beauty panel?

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Thanks for the reply dude! These are the 12" W7's, they call for 1.75 cubic feet per. I think the 13" calls for that 2.37 cubes. But you make a very valid point that I did not consider, the slanted back and porting. I didn't think of that, but there has to be a way. Maybe the port on the bottom of the box would be an option? If you can help that would be well appreciated. And the SQ in the current ported boxes is still really good, just about as clean as they sounded in the sealed pro wedge original box, but ported they get pretty loud too. Thanks again man!

If you have enough depth you could also do precision ports

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

seems like you are happy with the sound but not happy with the look? Maybe just make a beauty panel?

It is a look thing, but they are currently two different boxes. The one on the left is a ground shaker box, which is a little out of spec. One on the right is a box I build to JL spec out of birch. So I have to either build another box anyways if I'm going to make some beauty panels, so I figure I might as well build one really nice box and incorporate a rack on the back side. But thanks! And the precision ports sound bad ass, but I have not a clue lol

I would download the torres calc and start playing with your dimesions and port tuning.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

I would download the torres calc and start playing with your dimesions and port tuning.

I will when I get home. I've seen the guys on here talking about it. Is it mac friendly?

Archived