Motorboat KER Posted January 17, 2014 Report Posted January 17, 2014 Hey everyone, looks like an awesome community here! I recently picked up a Infinity Reference 1262w to dick around with. I used to run subs (just manufacturing box and stuff), but, now I want to learn to build boxes and such. Materials for the box: 0.75in MDF wood Lots of silicon chaulk My questions: Is there a specific type of screw that you think holds better than others? What would be the best dimensions for a ported single 12" box? Here is the woofers stats: SPECIFICATIONS DIAMETER: 12"(300MM) Sensitivity: 96dB POWER HANDLING: 300W (1200W ) RMS PEAK FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 23HZ ~ 400HZ NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 2 or 8OHMS VOICE COIL DIAMETER: 2.0"(51.0MM) I originally wanted to make a bandpass box however according to the specifications and such, it appears that a ported box hits harder (still learning about this stuff so please correct me if wrong): Also, what sort of AMP should I run?
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 17, 2014 Report Posted January 17, 2014 If you are new to building boxes, I'd stick with the ported box and save the bandpass box for later. As far as screws go, just regular 2" drywall screws will work fine. You have to pre-drill the holes first or the MDF will split. Also keep in mind that the screw is just there to clamp the joint together while the glue dries. The glue is what provides the strength. After the glue has set the screw doesn't help you at all and a lot of folks remove them. On the topic of glue, I'd recommend Tite-Bond. Its pretty much the gold standard when it comes to wood glues and works very well for building boxes. Its cheap and easy to get too. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
alaskanzx5 Posted January 17, 2014 Report Posted January 17, 2014 If you have a nail gun our access to one you can go that route to. Being new try ti stick around manufacturer recommended box size and port area. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Motorboat KER Posted January 17, 2014 Author Report Posted January 17, 2014 Do you recommend me any specs?
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 17, 2014 Report Posted January 17, 2014 Do you recommend me any specs? Infinity recommends 2 cubes tuned to 30 Hz. I'd probably stick with that. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
CleanSierra Posted January 17, 2014 Report Posted January 17, 2014 Look into Spax screws. They don't need pre drilling and they come with a nice star bit. I run the star bit in my Makita impact gun and those things bite and create a very small hole when they countersink themselves. Get whatever length you want, and try to stay kind of narrow on the diameter. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Motorboat KER Posted January 17, 2014 Author Report Posted January 17, 2014 Anyone have some specifics or plans? I plan on doing a ported box for a single 12" I plan on tuning to 30Hz Max dimensions: 30 inches wide 18 inches tall 16 inches deep If the specs were maxed out, it would make the subwoofer really close to my trunk door, would it be better to install it on the top of the box? Basicly I just need: Base width and depth of the box and Base width and depth of the port Thanks!
CleanSierra Posted January 17, 2014 Report Posted January 17, 2014 You won't need to use your max dimensions to get a box at 2 cubes net. I may tune a little higher for a box that is well rounded and can sound good on most all music. Do you listen to a lot of chopped and screwed music, I.e. Decaf? Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Motorboat KER Posted January 17, 2014 Author Report Posted January 17, 2014 Mainly trap like rl grime and then older rap like Dr Dre, Ice Cube and TI.
CleanSierra Posted January 17, 2014 Report Posted January 17, 2014 So not any music that's like mid 20s(its ok if you don't know that, I do). A tune slightly higher than 30 would be my suggestion. 32-35(probably dead on 34-35Hz for me personally with that sub and your music style). Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.