Second Skin Audio

Not as pissed now

CleanSierra

So, I told a could people that I was looking at getting a couple of AQ HDC3 10s super cheap(which I did). So they got here and one is in fine shape(minus the pre-existing surround damage that I knew of).

The other, however, is possibly fucked. There is coil rub. These subs are nearly 50Lbs a piece, shipped weight. I'm assuming packaging materials May add up to a pound. They were packed with bubble wrap, not tightly, just loosely layered and in a single layered corrugated cardboard box. One box looked so pathetic it's almost unbelievable. So I don't know if I even blame the carrier on this one(Fedex), I think it was packaged VERY VERY poorly.

Here is my fear:

The coil rub on this sub is not a terribe scraping noise and the cone returns to rest position on its own. Am I likely looking ONLY at coil rub or is there a possibility of motor shift. The factory glue from basket to magnet looks intact and unbroken. If the motor was shifted, would the coil and cone move AT ALL? I just need to know if I've got a possible paperweight or not. Thanks for any input from those of you who will help. I think I'm ok and just freaking out a bit. I've contacted that website's admin/mod staff about the issue, as well as the seller. I'm going to try to not put him on blast, even though he packaged this stuff completely inappropriately. I don't know if he insured it, I just don't want to be stuck with one sub that's non fixable.

Good pic(coil looks great):

20140124_050239.jpg

Now the bad ones:

20140124_045903.jpg

20140124_045914.jpg

Coil rub sub:

20140124_045939.jpg

Without tape:

20140124_050523.jpg

Packaging of good sub. Completely against box wall and only single layer of bubble wrap. I took off the top layer or two between cone and top of box:

20140124_050016.jpg

Small tear in it without tape:

20140124_050653.jpg

With tape:

20140124_050008.jpg

There's the show for now. I think I'm just over thinking the thing and a shifted motor wouldn't allow ANY movement, let alone returning to its rest position. Just want to hear from the PROs first.

Like I said, I DID get a screamin deal on these and fully expected to recone before ever putting music to them. I could have left the pictures of the surrounds out I suppose, but maybe seeing them paints a picture.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Pull the magnet boot off and look at the top plate, if its shifte You will see it, top plate will be offset to slugs.

USUALLY it will lock the coil solid So i believe your good

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

I don't got much to say about your question, but I do appreciate the fact you put the possibility on the blame from the shipper. I work at UPS and I see how things are handled. A lot of times and I would say 85% of all package damages comes from the shipper improperly sealing or packing their product. Like what you got, people who pack heavy ass packages, and then don't even put anything in there. Then expect it to stay intact going halfway across the country. I hope all is good with that sub though, I would like to assume that if the center pole shifted or the magnet itself did, the coil would probably not move at all. The gap in there is tiny as fuuuuck.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Pull the magnet boot off and look at the top plate, if its shifte You will see it, top plate will be offset to slugs.

Just snapped these without the boot. I'm not entirely sure WHAT it's supposed to look like stock. Magnets aren't perfectly assigned, but I'm pretty sure that's not the crucial part.

Here you go:

20140124_072740.jpg

20140124_072751.jpg

20140124_072808.jpg

Also, I rolled the sub around and the angles you're seeing are from different sides of the magnet to give you a 360° view

Also, the surrounds usually rip from to much excursion, So its possible old owner bottomed it out (if the coil can hit backplate) and bent former

I'd guess you're exactly right. These are the older 1000W RMS versions and supposedly D1 coils. When I look at his Sig it says he ran 4, 2 each on its own BC3500@ 2 ohms. You can wire 2 of rise subs to a 2 ohm final load. So he ran the full 3500 to 2 subs I'm sure.

I don't got much to say about your question, but I do appreciate the fact you put the possibility on the blame from the shipper. I work at UPS and I see how things are handled. A lot of times and I would say 85% of all package damages comes from the shipper improperly sealing or packing their product. Like what you got, people who pack heavy ass packages, and then don't even put anything in there. Then expect it to stay intact going halfway across the country. I hope all is good with that sub though, I would like to assume that if the center pole shifted or the magnet itself did, the coil would probably not move at all. The gap in there is tiny as fuuuuck.

I worked at the UPS Store long ago and packaged very well when I was there and learned how to do it right. I know this guy had no clue how to package and IF Fedex packed it(in FedEx box) then they should assume liability for shitty packaging service and reimburse value of the item.

Just snapped these without the boot. I'm not entirely sure WHAT it's supposed to look like stock. Magnets aren't perfectly assigned, but I'm pretty sure that's not the crucial part.

Here you go:

20140124_072740.jpg

20140124_072751.jpg

20140124_072808.jpg

Also, I rolled the sub around and the angles you're seeing are from different sides of the magnet to give you a 360° view

Its normal for the slugs not to line up,

What your looking for will be the top plate shifted way to one side on the TOP slug,

Ex,

Looking down from ontop of sub the top plate should be centered to the top slug, not all the way over one way.

You also may beable to look threw the basket vents and beable to see if its shifted

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

I think she's fine. I'll get that cone and spider off of the thing and check my gap. I'm nearly positive at this point, that I'm just looking at slight coil rub. I'm off to bed after driving for 11 hours straight and need to rest. I can't wait to rip this thing apart and get recones ordered.

Thank you for your help, I really really appreciate it!

Psi can realign it too.i sent him one of my dd motors to check out. You can also shim it more on one side possible if it's not terrible.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived