Moocow0419 Posted January 28, 2014 Report Posted January 28, 2014 Hey guys, I'm completely new to this forum but I was referred here to a friend for information because of how active and knowledgeable members are here. So.. I have a few questions. I have an Orion HCCA124 I want the box to be tuned at 32hz. Orion's specs honestly didn't make much sense to me so I worked off the numbers I did understand and worked from there. This is what I have now.. But.. I'm wondering if I should make the port face another way? Instead of having the port be directly behind the subwoofer. Thanks Guys
Moocow0419 Posted January 29, 2014 Author Report Posted January 29, 2014 Any help guys would be greatly appreciated =(
jarrius Posted January 29, 2014 Report Posted January 29, 2014 Well I'm not a box designer... Yet but i can say this don't use re box calculator it has been proven to be wrong. Post up the max dimensions you can use and what tuning you would like and always give it more then 1 day for people to respond . O and welcome to the forum!!! 2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d 140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed) 140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL 142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at) 141 on music. strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said: when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole
SQL50 Posted January 31, 2014 Report Posted January 31, 2014 Max dimensions & vehicle? Btw re box calculator may not be 100% accurate, but when I got a design from RF on a P3 15, I designed the box on the re calculator to get the cut out sheet. And I checked out the square port volume, tuning, etc.. It was almost bang on, I mean it was barely off from what the RF Tech's design was. And I also checked port displacements and everything on pencil, paper, & calculator. It is accurate, like I said. It's not 100% accurate, but it's very close. You can trust the program to give you an accurate enough design. It doesn't account for your airspace after your sub displacement for your tuning. That's the only thing that would throw it off that I can think of. I did a little research on the owners guide. Your driver has .28 cu ft of displacement, and it needs 28 in of square port area. Depending on the height of your port is going to determine what your port width needs to be to get your square port area. Divide your square port area by the height of your port and that gives you the width of your port. That keeps turbulence low, and keeps your box from sounding bad. If you want to increase your sq port area, make your port slightly wider. That will further help with turbulence. Rounding your port edges off helps with turbulence too. To keep the tuning that you want, it would require more overall port length, and that means more displacement of your useable airspace. And your right. 1.5 cubes of recommended airspace and a 40 hz tuning does seem a little off. & tuning a enclosure with such little airspace to a lower tuning like 32 hz is going to require a crap ton of port length. Although with a smaller ported enclosure like that it would be more up to par with power handling, but with 2.5 cubes of airspace the driver would be more efficient with the sacrifice of power handling. But overall I would say 2.5 cu ft at 32 hz isn't a bad design for it, it should be pretty clean. But give us some max dimensions that your willing to give up, what it's going in, & what your optimizing the enclosure for as far as music & we'll help you out the best we can. There's a lot of people on this forum that know a lot more about box building than me. So your going to get some really good opinions & advice.
Moocow0419 Posted February 4, 2014 Author Report Posted February 4, 2014 Max dimensions & vehicle? Btw re box calculator may not be 100% accurate, but when I got a design from RF on a P3 15, I designed the box on the re calculator to get the cut out sheet. And I checked out the square port volume, tuning, etc.. It was almost bang on, I mean it was barely off from what the RF Tech's design was. And I also checked port displacements and everything on pencil, paper, & calculator. It is accurate, like I said. It's not 100% accurate, but it's very close. You can trust the program to give you an accurate enough design. It doesn't account for your airspace after your sub displacement for your tuning. That's the only thing that would throw it off that I can think of. I did a little research on the owners guide. Your driver has .28 cu ft of displacement, and it needs 28 in of square port area. Depending on the height of your port is going to determine what your port width needs to be to get your square port area. Divide your square port area by the height of your port and that gives you the width of your port. That keeps turbulence low, and keeps your box from sounding bad. If you want to increase your sq port area, make your port slightly wider. That will further help with turbulence. Rounding your port edges off helps with turbulence too. To keep the tuning that you want, it would require more overall port length, and that means more displacement of your useable airspace. And your right. 1.5 cubes of recommended airspace and a 40 hz tuning does seem a little off. & tuning a enclosure with such little airspace to a lower tuning like 32 hz is going to require a crap ton of port length. Although with a smaller ported enclosure like that it would be more up to par with power handling, but with 2.5 cubes of airspace the driver would be more efficient with the sacrifice of power handling. But overall I would say 2.5 cu ft at 32 hz isn't a bad design for it, it should be pretty clean. But give us some max dimensions that your willing to give up, what it's going in, & what your optimizing the enclosure for as far as music & we'll help you out the best we can. There's a lot of people on this forum that know a lot more about box building than me. So your going to get some really good opinions & advice. Wow, I thought I wasn't going to get more of a response to this but clearly I was wrong. I'm going to get dimensions of my trunk.. I feel like I have a sufficient trunk space its an 07 civic sedan.. Don't judge ... But I'm also wondering if I position the port differently ... Cause I had intentions of a front slot port with front sub mount. I know with SUV's its like port up sub front, or whatever it is. And I was going to have the sub facing towards the trunk because I was told its better that way? BUT anyway.. Ill get dimensions of my trunk space.
Moocow0419 Posted February 14, 2014 Author Report Posted February 14, 2014 ALLRIGHT.. Super duper late on a response here but I finally got my trunk dimensions and Im looking at... L x W x H .... 20 x 40 x 16 ... 20 Being from front to back of trunk.. 40 being from Driver to Passenger side of trunk and 16 being height of trunk... Thats with space for amps and minimal personal items.
Moocow0419 Posted February 14, 2014 Author Report Posted February 14, 2014 Musicwise I literally listen to a lot of heavy bass trap sort of rap music and EDM/House music. At least thats what I want it to be spec'd for.
Dude2800 Posted February 15, 2014 Report Posted February 15, 2014 Good news is you only need a foot and a half of airspace. I was wondering why they recommend 40 hz.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.