rfbasshead Posted January 29, 2014 Report Posted January 29, 2014 Is there such thing as to much air space for a sub? I'm not talking like 2 cubes of extra space it's more like a half..I recently bought 3 10 inch p3 and a t1000.1 there in a tacoma single cab so the box really isn't that huge...when I turn it up it sounds like it's slapping when it should be way louder and the guy at the shop said that there to much air for the sub is that possible? He suggested I upgrade to 12's Thoughts?
Joe X Posted January 29, 2014 Report Posted January 29, 2014 I'm not talking like 2 cubes of extra space it's more like a half.. Man just post the external dimensions of the box and the dimensions of the port if it's ported (height,width,length), also how you wired the 3 subs to the amp. That is if you really want to know if your box is done right for the subs.
rfbasshead Posted January 29, 2014 Author Report Posted January 29, 2014 Ok I'll measure it in the morning..I know it's around 2.2 cubes before displacement...and each sub is wired to 8ohms individually and then all connected to 1 wire which goes to the amp
gr8handogoatness Posted January 29, 2014 Report Posted January 29, 2014 Yes it is possible to have too much airspace, just hard to do with 3 tens in a single cab Tacoma. And if it is as you say, 2.2cuft, then the question is, is it sealed or ported? Thats too small for a ported so lets assume sealed, in which case it is a little bit big. Rockford says to use like .59 cubes sealed, so multiplied by 3 gives you roughly 1.8 cuft. I don't think 2.2 is so big that it will have such negative effects, but I could be wrong. Especially taking displacement into account, .127 per sub so .381 total so your 2.2 is down to 1.82 cubic feet. So assuming the above information is correct I would say the box is perfect for them. The amp wouldn't be pushing the subs to their limits in even a half decent box so I guess that leaves box size (since we don't yet know for sure) and gain setting (Probably other things too that I am not thinking of like maybe they are actually hitting the back of the seat and that is the slapping or something). After you give us the measurements of the box also tell us about where your gain is set, who did it and how.
alaskanzx5 Posted January 29, 2014 Report Posted January 29, 2014 get some pics of it to. that will help determine what the sound is coming from. if you can a video of with it making the sound to. could be something as simple as a plastic trim piece slapping around. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
rfbasshead Posted January 29, 2014 Author Report Posted January 29, 2014 I'm so glad in getting responses...I'll post the measurement and some pics in a couple hours..gotta get ready and make my daily commute! I will post them up! All patience and help is appreciated!
rfbasshead Posted January 29, 2014 Author Report Posted January 29, 2014 No there brand new And both gAins are turned half way up
rfbasshead Posted January 29, 2014 Author Report Posted January 29, 2014 It's 45.5" long 21.5" high Top width 5.5" Bottom width 9.5" But each sub has it's own chamber that's 14" apart...I can't figure out how to upload pics from my ipad
gr8handogoatness Posted January 29, 2014 Report Posted January 29, 2014 Ah yes gains at half. What head unit do you have? Is this a ported box? Also explain this 14"apart business. From the measurements I'm getting around 4cubes, unless I screwed up my math which could have happened. I'll double check in a minute. (EDIT: always use a calculator, I was wrong you are not at 4, but a little over 2)To post pictures I think you have to upload them to something like photobucket and then post the url or something, there is a topic that explains it.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.