Second Skin Audio

blow through 4th order box

roycealbert1

im going to do a blow through on my truck eventually. i made up this box on sketchup just wondering if this box would work for music im not really concerned about spl since it will already be loud enough with 2 15s for me.

the subs im going to use are 2 sundown x 15s and i have a saz 2500 right now.

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/roycealbert123/media/bandpassbox12_zpsc2c9e850.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

the ported side is 8.5 ft cubed. with 3 9.5"x6" flared ports. tuned to 45hz..

the sealed side is 5.4 ft cubed.

and i have not decided if im going to have the subs inverted or not. if anyone has any tips or comments about my box well i need to know if it might work!

Your math is wrong however you're calculating port surface area.

3 6" ports(no matter how long in the world) are only 84.78" of area. Port area is a 2 dimensional measurement and works be obtained by Pi*R^2. Pi is 3.14 and your radius is 3". 3" squared is 9 and multiplied by Pi, you're at 28.26 per port. Since there are 3 ports, you multiply by 3 reaching the final number of 84.78" of port area.

To address your port area question from some website you find, that's not correct, or you did something Wrong. Could you please link the website so I can check it out? When I check suggested port area for a regular ported box, I get 280" suggested and for a 4th order bandpass, I come up with 540". So when for a normal vented enclosure, you're far under what it's suggested.

You also have to think of it this way: the port is your only addy of getting the sound OUT of the enclosure. Do you think you're going to get all that sound and pressure out of 3 holes that are 6" in diameter into your vehicle cabin? It's like trying to push a bowling ball through a garden hose. I can almost guarantee you would have more of an effect if a VERY leaky sealed box than a vented enclosure.

So your solution will be redesign your enclosure with much more port area. A little piece of advise also, don't place a port directly in front of a subwoofer as it will likely cause unloading issues. Keep the subs from firing directly into the port opening.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

on sundowns website for the other larger subs they recommended size for a ported box is around 3-4^3 inches. and idk if my calculations are right but with the 3 6x9.5 ports i got about 800^3 inches. and shouldnt it be even more since they will be flared?

You don't multiply port depth when calculating port area. Port area is a two dimensional figure. You're trying to calculate port volume.

Screenshot_2014-02-08-13-06-21.png

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived