Second Skin Audio

SoundQubed HDS300

John Fassetta

I'm wanting to replace my 2 4th gen 12" type R's and am wanting to leave the mainstream brands. My girlfriend has two of the 5th gen type R's and honestly I haven't been super impressed (they're very good, I just want to take it up another step). I've been thinking about getting either 2 SA-12's or Obsidian Audio 12's. I have a GLX2200.1 (2200rms) and about 4cuft of space. The only thing holding me back is that the OA's wont be out until April and the SA's are a little rich for my blood. This has got me thinking that maybe the new HDS312's would be a good fit. I like the price ($140 and free shipping) and I know that Audioque had a good reputation.

Basically, without trying to make this a versus thread or anything, should I pull the trigger on the SQ312's or wait for the OA 12's? My goals are to equal the SPL of my type R's and improve sound quality. I know the OA will do that. Is the HDS312 good for SQ at all? I'd really like to not wait until sometime in April but will if yall think I'll be disappointed by the sound quality.

As an aside, equal SQ and louder than my R's would be nice too. As long as SQ doesn't take a hit I'm good. Thanks

I doubt you will take an SQ hit but you will have a hard time fitting two of any of those 12's mentioned in a 4 cube box. Is that before or after any port/sub/brace displacement? If you have 4 cubes gross I would go with a single HDS315.

What coils does the OA 12 have?

Pretty sure the HDS3 is the only 12 out there with a 3" coil for 140$ shipped. You just can't beat that. I would jump on it before SQ jumps up the price of everything

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I doubt you will take an SQ hit but you will have a hard time fitting two of any of those 12's mentioned in a 4 cube box. Is that before or after any port/sub/brace displacement? If you have 4 cubes gross I would go with a single HDS315.

The Obsidian 12s recommended air space is 1.5-2cf ported. Same for the SA's I believe. . .

What coils does the OA 12 have?

Pretty sure the HDS3 is the only 12 out there with a 3" coil for 140$ shipped. You just can't beat that. I would jump on it before SQ jumps up the price of everything

2.5"

and yeah SoundQubed has the best price/performance ratio out there. Can't be beat imo

Could also look at the American Bass XFL 12s

Yeah, I love SoundQubed (AQ) I got to hear their demo van once with 4 of their HDC4 15's in it. They sure love big boxes though, go with SQ subs

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

So yall have definitely eased some of my concerns about going with the SQ subs. It is 4 cubes gross that I have to play with though...Given that I have 2200 watts (or 1600 at 2 ohms) I'm not sure one 15 would work very well. I'm thinking of sticking with 2 12's unless I'm really choking them. I don't think I want to do 10's, so I guess I might be back to the OA's?

They don't like small boxes. I have them so if that's all the space u have get 1 hds 15 and give it the 1600 watts if it's clean power turn it down if you smell the coils. Give it all a like 3.5 cubes net and you will be happy. And for a 3" coil well built sub you can't beat the price. Tune between 32-35hz

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

Alright sounds good. I think I'm set on the SoundQubed. Of course when I went and checked their website the 15's are sold out and when I called they said expect it to take about a month to get more in.....looks like I'm going to make the 12's work.

They don't like small boxes so run it inverted and use all the space you have possible. And u might be only able to run 1 12.

Also the hdc3 15 is the same price of 2 hds312 I would take that rout instead and run up amp at 1 ohm.

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

Archived