Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

Also I DID NOT do the big 45... just a heads up.

This was for a Skar VVX10...I bought a motor from a member on here..powdercoated the basket pink and got a recone from Skar..

It digs into 20's with authority but tuning so low hurt output..it would probably be a big difference if I just tuned to 30-35 like normal...but playing 25hz witha ten is fun. lol

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome tutorial! I plan on building my first T-line sometime soon cause I'm selling my current box for my E8v3 to my buddy. My question is how do you determine port width? Cause on regular boxes port width affects tuning yet you see people utilizing like 5"+ wide ports for Tlines for small subs.. And the E8v3 has a Fs of 52.7hz, I would like to get better lows out of it than my current .66ft^3 @ 35hz enclosure. What should I shoot for tuning?

Car:
- 2013 Honda Accord Sport 6MT

- aFe SRI

Electrical:

- Big 3 w/ Execution Audio 0/1 AWG OFC
- Stock Battery

Audio:

- JBL Power Series 6.5 Comps up front (Running off HU power atm)

- JBL Power Series 2-Ways in the rear deck (Running off HU power atm)

Subwoofer:

- Sundown Audio X-15
- CT Sounds AT1400.1D (@1 ohm)

Bedroom:

- Yamaha RX-V365

- Pair of Klipsch KG4.2's

- 2 E8v3's in a 1.34ft^3 tuned to 30hz
- No Amp yet..

- CoolMax ZU900B PSU for amp

In my room & previous car:
- Amp: Soundstream TX1.1300D @ 4 ohms (520 watts)
- T-Line Enclosure tuned to 32hz
YouTube : http://www.youtube.c...r8?feature=mhee

• 2 weeks later...

I just tune to what you want. I know what has been said in this thread about tuning ot FS...but I can tell you that in my personal experience I was much happier tuning to what I wanted then the actual FS of the sub.

I used a cheap ass 10$ woofer(not subwoofer) with crappy specs lol...just to play with T-line designs and different port sizes(larger or smaller than SD) and lower tuning then FS. IMO it was much better tuned lower....maybe not louder but sound wise it was better and dug low as hell for a shit woofer.

I tuned my current T-line to FS because I bought a sub with low FS that matched what I wanted. My vvx10 has a fs below 30hz..and I believe I'm tuned to 28 with my current setup. My port area is also a little larger then my SD...it gets down, but if I play even a little below tuning that sonofabitch bottoms pretty hard. You have to make sure you filters are set correctly.

As far as port width, its all dependent on the rest of your space you have to work with. Port width times port height needs to be the surface area of the sub. if your sub has a surface area of 60sq inches....and your box can only be 7.5" inches wide..that means you would have a 6" wide port thats 10" tall...and the length would be dependant on tuning.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

I am totally new at this and this is what i have to work with. I also have a 10 farad cap 2 alpine m450 amps and 2 jbl gto 804 subs. . I tried a sealed box I made, a pyle band pass, a sono tube a pepboys vented box and now a band pass from ebay.

I recently find myself with plenty of free time and wanted to get some ideas and HELP at making the best box for these speakers and my current setup. I like listening to ganster rap music and love to feel the hit in my chest, petals of the car and seat while I drive. I also like some rock music with a heavy bass line.

This is for a newer honda insight which does not have an alternator, but a 70 amp dc to dc converter for the 12 volt charging system. Basically that caps me unless I want to add an alt to 800 watts or so and thats pushing it. Since its a hybrid I want to do smarts over brute force and as low as I can go.

I tried a calculator and it said I needed 15 liters of displacement on one side and 16 on the other. Then in inches it came out to lke 10x10x8. Maybe I am over thinking this, but can a 10x10x8 box hold 15 or 16 liters of soda? :)

Ive tried a few calculators like the torres and ajdesigns. Needless to say could i paypal one of you guys to give me some drawings, dimensions, etc?

Here is the sub specs http://www.jbl.com/r...rs/GTO 804D.pdf

Here is an example of my current setup.

Thanks for any help. I have a few saws including a circulator and 2 hardware stores down the road.

2010 Honda Insight Eco Modded + PHEV

1995 Suzuki Sidekick 4wd 5 speed LJX

Hi .. I'm trying to design a T-Line box ... I think I've figured out most of it ... I did the sample box on page 1 .. almost all of the measurements i got worked out except .. the 7 3/4 and the 37 1/2 ... for the 37 1/2 is that from the end where the speaker starts .... and for the 7 3/4 I for some reason keep getting out 7.88 instead of 7.75 ... please help .. thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I know that first post was very long winded, but its necessary. The first step is design. I need to get a 150sq inch port, 7.41ft long, in to a 48"x 25.5"x16.5" space... Not to hard... I planned out 2 folds in the box- I call this a simple "U" Turn box, or single bend

Kenstlinedimensions.jpg

With these dimensions I get 38hz for the quarter wave tuning, measured down the middle

89" total length - 7.41 ft

Math shown as,

7.41 x's 4 = 29.66ft for the full wave of 38hz

If you are at Sea level,

1130ft / 29.66 = 38.09hz

This is a 2D schematic of the test box, If you want to, go ahead and try this design, its a great design, I used it before a few times, and works great

How do you determine where to start the length of the port?

I got a

Ive considered something like this for.

just designed this for a member, ground zero 12" @33 Hz, what yall think.

groundZero.png

2010 Honda Insight Eco Modded + PHEV

1995 Suzuki Sidekick 4wd 5 speed LJX

• 3 weeks later...

Wow information overload, lol. I read up to the first 25 pages... this is some really interesting stuff.

Can anyone tell me if it will be possible to fit a T-line enclosure within 32"x20"x18" for the following sub specifications?

Re : 3.68 ohms
Fs : 20.51 Hz
Qes : 0.42
Qms : 4.81
Qts : 0.39
Le : 4.00 mH
Sd : 729 cm^2
Vas : 107 L
BL : 21.79 NA
Mms : 422 g
Cms : 142 uM/N
Sens : 85.17 dB 1w/1m

Willing to pay for a design, thanks.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

I just tune to what you want. I know what has been said in this thread about tuning ot FS...but I can tell you that in my personal experience I was much happier tuning to what I wanted then the actual FS of the sub.

Agreed! However, the impression i get is that the optimum performance is around FS, however as a lot of T/S parameters published by manufacturers seem to be slightly off, I try and aim for around 5Hz more than the quoted FS.

However, we're not exactly limited for choice, and so one could first determine the required depth and then choose a sub accordingly, instead of just saying: Rockford or Kicker?

Does anyone have any information on a tapered line? I've got a 12" W7AE That is just too deep to fit a standard t-line, so I need to taper it down. I'm not finding much info that isn't way over my head though...

I use/have found the 2:1 ratio as outline in the; Transmission Line Design - Fundamentals (link below) to be a good formula.

http://surfandsound.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/transmission-line-design-fundamentals-including-diagrams/

Archived