Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

after reading the 26 pages of posts i decided im goin to build one for my first time... i have these two old pioneer 10in subs.. unfortunantly i cudnt find any real specs on them becuser they so old.. so i rounded off the Fs of three similar subs to 30 hz. and thats what i tuned this box to... after doin the math i came up with this...

Posted Image

lemme know if im doin anything wrong.. other thatn guessing the Fs of the sub... anybody have any tips or suggestions? anyhelp is appreciated

My first truck... My first Real build...

*Update 8/9/10 DC Power 270xp Alt is In!!!*

1997 Toyota T-100 DC Level 5 18" in a T-line

Everybody wants their system to be....

1. Cheap

2. Reliable

3. Loud

...you can only pick two.

micahmye hertz pack

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SO... .Im trying to make up a t-line design for a 12" DC lvl4 xl. I got the specs from here:

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/specs.html

12"

Mounting Depth

7"

Mounting Hole Diameter

11"

Motor Width

8.75"

Weight

54lbs

VC Diameter

3" Flat 8 layer

Magnet Weight

50lbs

Power Handling RMS/Peak

1500/3000

Impedance

D 1 or 2ohm

Sd

494.00 cm²

Fs

38.90Hz

Qms

Qes

Qts

Xmax

26mm

Sensitivity

Suggested Sealed

N/A

Suggested Ported

1.75³-2.75³ ft

Using math on the first page then I should have something like this:

( 1130 / freq ) / ¼ = ¼ wave length and ( Cone Area / 2 ) = ( X )² x 3.14 = X in²

SO....

( 1130 / 38.9 ) / ¼ = 7.26ft and ( 11 / 2 ) = (5.5)² x 3.14 = 90in²

This is were i start getting confused.... I need to keep a constant 109in² ... So... if I want my box to be 16in tall externally. Then height inside would be 14.5in (using ¾ MDF). Which means the width of the port can be 6.21875in wide. 14.5 x 6.21875 = 90.171875in²

The tunnel would be 14 1/2in x 6 7/32ln x 7 1/4ft long??

Im trying to stay within measurable fractions. Figured it wouldn't hurt since we rounded down in the first place. Good enough?? Is my math correct??? Please lmk if it isn't and or what to correct.

-Kurk

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

If I made a T-line for a single 12" DC lvl4 XL using 3/4 mdf. Th box dimensions of L: 36 3/4in W: 24 3/4in H: 16in and the tunnel measuring 14 1/2in x 6 7/32ln x 7 1/4ft long. Taking that into accoul the guts of the box would loong along the lines of this:

Posted Image

Could someone check my math or w/e and lmk if Im on the right track?

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

• 3 weeks later...

im looking at building a couple of these for hame theater towers and i was wondering if they still work well if used as mids?

i will be getting a set of jaycar 5" papercone mids, QMS is 1.414, QTS is 0.474 and QES is 0.717, the FS is 67.63hz which makes the tline 127.31cm

its my first home theater setup and the mids will probably play between about 60Hz and 2-3kHz, im thinking of using pvc to start with but im wondering if it would sound good playing so high?

vandersexx-1.jpgdeafaz-1.jpg

^^^ clicky pics for build logs ^^^

Australia-03-june.gif

wow, I really haven't been on this thread in a long time, looks like lots of people have been hittin it up!!

Well, a lot of you guys here know I have been doing custom subs for awhile, just recently Scott and I have been going full throttle on subwoofer assembly, engineering/prototyping.

I honestly haven't even been building any boxes at all lately, just haven't been to concerned, I have always had boxes here to mess with. I finally ran out of boxes, and I'am thinking about doing some box prototyping

I have 4 subs on my mind that I want to do a single sub tline, or bandpass tline for, and they all have perfect specs!

(And if your interested, hit me up on pricing)

1) 18" Low lowwwww end monster, 13.5hz Fs 0.30Qts, 7 Qms, 0.31 Qes, nice heavy copper coil, and a whopping 58BL!!!

If I did this, I may do as a bandpass, tune it to about 30hz

2) 15" more of a SPL based subwoofer, 40hz Fs, 0.40 Qts and a 9Qms, this box would be more narrow banded, and more than likely SPL based

3) 12" SQ 12" sub, 34Fs 0.34 Qts 0.36 Qes will be a great Daily SQ woofer

4) Then this guy, most would say No don't do it! 10" VERY High SPL subwoofer 63hz after break in period, 0.21Qts 0.22 Qes, and 7 Qms- This one I' am interested in just to see if I can hammer it and pull some high DB #'s. Imagine a single 10" set up on 3000w/rms pulling a 150db in a tline in a crx??!!! Would be sweeeet

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Which one do you guys think I should build a tline for????

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I'm down for your 18! Summon whales!!!! Make elephants weep! I like.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I was thinking of doing the 18 in a Fs tuned tline for the house, that is what it was built for in the first place

But I had it in a tapered tline in my truck that was tuned about 35 hz, and it was flawless, but I knew it had a lot more in it, so I swapped out to my 15 tline, and threw a sub in it, and pounded on that for awhile

The 15 at the same power was louder, but assuming that the tapered tline wasn't a match at all for the 18", I would have to build a bandpass to compensate for the ultra low Fs

In the long run this 18 WILL go in my house, and not in any cars, but I do have plans to build 4 more matching using higher power coils, 0.35ohm copper coils, and add a second spider, just to keep the Fs close to 20hz

possibility of running those 18s in the future

anyone else?

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I'm down for your 18! Summon whales!!!! Make elephants weep! I like.

dude, Colin, I love your signature picture!

sundown.jpg

Archived