Second Skin Audio

(4) Soundqubed 15's box. Dedicated Home Music System: Build Log - Picture Log - Help Log

Impalalpine

I've had good success wit port firing at wall in front of me and subs up along the adjacent box shoved in the corner works well for my completely concrete basement

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

It looks great, I have recently messed around with sketchup and can now appreciate the level of work that really goes in these designs so I just have to say thank you at least once more

The sonotube port is a design I havn't seen before, this is like a precision port or aero-port? could you expand on the the idea behind that over a slot port (I figure there is likely a reason this design is superior/more-suited)

I'm glad I can help. Sketchup is one of those things where the more you use it the faster and more proficient you get. Doing Sketchup work for others helps me with that.

The sonotube is just a really easy way and cost effective to make a large round port. Its basically a thick cardboard tube, they are actually meant to be concrete forms for pouring footings and things, but they work very well for audio applications. In fact them make them so big (24"+) people will just put caps on the ends of them and use them as the whole enclosure. Like these: http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/inspirations/cylindrical.htm

For best results you should flare the mouth of the port as much as possible, and to the same for the inside end of the port. You can do this by making some "donuts" out of MDF (basically making your own aeroport). The reason I used a round port instead of a slot port is I have a lot more confidence in the port length equations for round ports. If you make the port 7.5" long I can tell you I'm pretty darn certain its going to tune that box to 31 Hz. There are a lot more variables with slot ports so I don't have the same degree of certainty with them. Its something I'm experimenting with myself to try and get nailed down, but until I'm confident with them I want to make sure I give you good information and the round port is the best way to do that.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

It looks great, I have recently messed around with sketchup and can now appreciate the level of work that really goes in these designs so I just have to say thank you at least once more

The sonotube port is a design I havn't seen before, this is like a precision port or aero-port? could you expand on the the idea behind that over a slot port (I figure there is likely a reason this design is superior/more-suited)

I'm glad I can help. Sketchup is one of those things where the more you use it the faster and more proficient you get. Doing Sketchup work for others helps me with that.

The sonotube is just a really easy way and cost effective to make a large round port. Its basically a thick cardboard tube, they are actually meant to be concrete forms for pouring footings and things, but they work very well for audio applications. In fact them make them so big (24"+) people will just put caps on the ends of them and use them as the whole enclosure. Like these: http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/inspirations/cylindrical.htm

For best results you should flare the mouth of the port as much as possible, and to the same for the inside end of the port. You can do this by making some "donuts" out of MDF (basically making your own aeroport). The reason I used a round port instead of a slot port is I have a lot more confidence in the port length equations for round ports. If you make the port 7.5" long I can tell you I'm pretty darn certain its going to tune that box to 31 Hz. There are a lot more variables with slot ports so I don't have the same degree of certainty with them. Its something I'm experimenting with myself to try and get nailed down, but until I'm confident with them I want to make sure I give you good information and the round port is the best way to do that.

Man you're so thorough.

Totally makes sense to me, let's see what this looks like in real life.

Whenever you get a chance i'm ready for a cutsheet. (Unless its safe to take the dimensions off the sketchup)

Sub is scheduled for delivery tomorrow too, so i'l throw some pics up when its here.

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Pioneer--------------------- DEH-X8600bs Soundqubed/AQ------ Q4-120

Rockford Fosgate---- Punch-500.4

Soundqubed/AQ----- Q1-3500D.1 Alpine----------------- 6.5's & 6x9's

Subs: TBA All Knukonceptz and SHCA wire and rca's

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

Updates coming all the time on both builds

n8ball2013

"bullshit. Everything fits. If you cut enough."

Sure thing, I just wanted to make sure it was what you wanted before I made a cut sheet, here it is:

Top/Bottom = 22-3/8" x 72"

Baffle/Back = 18-1/2" x 72"

Ends = 18-1/2" x 20-7/8"

Be sure to brace it well and I expect to see some pics!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Can I wrap fiberglass around the sonotube, and resin it like normal?

The outside of the sonotube, on the inside of the box:

DSC_0008-4_zps91588491.jpg

^^pic off google to try and explain.

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

n8ball2013

Sub is here here are some pictures:

004_zps6b13082e.jpg

003_zps547b936a.jpg

014_zps0ee09f3e.jpg

006_zpse593e72d.jpg

005_zpsc69b3c7a.jpg

008_zps20c84914.jpg

007_zpsf39c3db7.jpg

012_zpsbc6ae9fc.jpg

013_zpsf6b2c2f2.jpg

And for the weird bit..

Next are some shots of the tinsel leads..

This is one side (looks good)

010_zpsfbd54178.jpg

Next is the shot of the other side. (wtf)

011_zps2cafee9c.jpg

It's taught.. the tinsel is taught. like strung tight.. guitar string

Can't imagine that's right or that it could put up with longterm abuse, could it?

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Home Music Setup

n8ball2013

Looks like the push terminals got pushed in towards the subwoofer. Maybe during unboxing or shipping? The box it was shipped it wasn't crushed at all was it?

Nothing for now...

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

I'd grab Adam's ass and look him in the eyes for a demo of nates truck.

I've had good success wit port firing at wall in front of me and subs up along the adjacent box shoved in the corner works well for my completely concrete basement

This is why i say for home theater use. 4 single box's one in each corner.

truthsayer

Archived