coh33dkill3r Posted February 24, 2014 Report Posted February 24, 2014 I recently built a ported box for my sundown x18 and using 2 6" steel aero ports that I built... Problem is I only have 4 1/2" clearance from the end of port to the wood inside... Will this reduce proper airflow or do I need to be atleast 6" away from the inner wall
Dude2800 Posted February 24, 2014 Report Posted February 24, 2014 I originally built one of my boxes with an up firing port and didn't like the sound. Laid it down port back and don't have the airspace between the port and panel that they say I should have but I think it sounds better. It may also be dependent on power. I recently bought an x18 and haven't built the box yet. Hope it sounds alright for you.
Triticum Agricolam Posted February 24, 2014 Report Posted February 24, 2014 Airflow probably won't be an issue, but it may lower your tuning slightly. I'd give it a try and see, if its not going to be too difficult. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
coh33dkill3r Posted February 24, 2014 Author Report Posted February 24, 2014 Worse comes to worse I take them out cut them down and re weld them.... Figure I'd get another opinion before I install them and put the box in... And my sub is firing up with ports to the driver side
Dude2800 Posted February 24, 2014 Report Posted February 24, 2014 Try it. I'd like to see a video also.
Jessica Posted February 24, 2014 Report Posted February 24, 2014 I think the minimum is the radius of the port not the diameter. But its better to have at least the diameter. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Krakin Posted February 24, 2014 Report Posted February 24, 2014 It is the minimum diameter that should normally be the distance from the back of the wall. However, it shouldn't be much of a problem other than lowering the tuning and possible lowering the useable maximum velocity of air a little bit. But as you stated it shouldn't be much trouble to pull them out and shorten them slighly to compensate. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
coh33dkill3r Posted February 24, 2014 Author Report Posted February 24, 2014 I'll test and see. Gonna be running on low power anyways til I can get a xs d3100. Looking at 500 rms right now so not much to take a video of yet
Triticum Agricolam Posted February 24, 2014 Report Posted February 24, 2014 You should be totally fine on that power. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.