Clipping

BP454

I have some music that its not the best sounding ( thanks to a YouTube converter) but I still have never had a big problem with clipping. Even with the chopped and screwed stuff i will see my bass knob start to shine red and I know to back it down, also there is a slight audible difference in the music. It's just as simple as setting gains correctly and knowing the limits of your own setup.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

Your gain set at half means it wasn't set right. Being not set right means you were clipping. Distortion in a song isn't going to hurt your equipment, but gain settings being wrong will. Overpowering a couple of rockford 15s is no problem, obviously without the amp clipping. However if the box is too big or tuned too high and you are playing too low, then you can damage the subs that way too. The power wasn't the problem, its the delivery that is going to hurt things.

However if the box is too big or tuned too high and you are playing too low, then you can damage the subs that way too. The power wasn't the problem, its the delivery that is going to hurt things.

This could very well be it too. I don't think the box was too big (too small if I remember right). I calculated it out a while back. They were in a ported box that barely fit in my trunk and never did sound right. I always thought it was the box. That's why with this setup I went w/ a sealed box. Appreciate the input!

if there isn't any breathing room for the woofers in the trunk, it won't sound good. that's why you either see like two twelves in the trunk, and everything bigger is facing towards the cabin sealed off so no air gets into the trunk

if there isn't any breathing room for the woofers in the trunk, it won't sound good. that's why you either see like two twelves in the trunk, and everything bigger is facing towards the cabin sealed off so no air gets into the trunk

I agree. With the seats up the subs never sound as good. The last ones (Rockfords in ported box) sounded terrible with seats up. Another reason I thought it was the box is that some notes would not play very well. They were just barely audible when the subs hit them. This new sealed box is pretty decent size but still nowhere near the other one, sounds a ton better seats up or down.

All I know is that Young Jeezy's music must clip, because the mids and highs in his music sounds like absolute crap even at low volume. Other than that, this might be way off topic because I didn't read all of it........

• 2 weeks later...

audacity cannot detect clipping. All that RED you see when you put on the find clipping option, all that means is the wave is over 0db. It doesnt mean it is square, saw toothed or anything else, just over 0db.

To see if a wave is actually clipped, you either have to zoom in enough to see the wave forms or find a program that ACTUALLY detects clipped waves.

Is this true? The red means nothing but over 0 db? I also thought that ment clipping or distorted music.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Used to happen all the time. I had a "friend" that used to be like dude I found the hardest hitting song ever. Pulls out his iPhone and a youtube video and plugs it in and cranks it on his shit. Sounds horrible.

Of course he knew the setup I had was louder and wanted to try it so when I was off taking a shit he started playing it and was Fucking around with all my settings try to find when it was loudest.

Nothing broke thankfully but I never talk to that kid anymore. He would do that with my bikes too.

i never let anybody mess around with my shit. big no no.

Ha I would never let one of my friends even in the driver seat to play music lol

yes Jarrius, audacity doesnt really show clipping, it just shows when a freq is over a certain db as stated, if you load a song into Audacity, Windows Media Player or other programs that show a waveform with zoom in capabilities, you will be able to see clipping if it was there, the wave form will be Squared, or flattened if its clipped.

Clipping_waveform.jpg

98 Grand Cherokee
HU: JVC KDHDR20
Comps: Helix E62C & Alpine Type S
Sub: 12" RF HX2
Box: 3cf tuned to 30hz
Sub Amp: Kicker KX600.1
Comp Amp: None yet
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarr3ll/
^^^my slowed music^^^

Archived