Clipping

BP454

I know this subject is discussed here pretty regularly. I am curious to know, to what extent do you worry about clipping? I ask this because I recently had a pair of subs blow RF P2 15's (Which I believe were underpowered) while playing a song repeated on the way to work. I got home and checked, the entire song I was playing is clipping minus like 10 seconds for the intro. Song is Gucci Mane Feat. OJ Da Juiceman - Vette Pass By if anyone wants to verify. Because of that, I am now trying to be as cautious as possible of clipping. I checked a couple songs and it seems like more have clipping than don't (the stuff I listen to anyway). Alley boy songs, lots of clipping. Three 6 Mafia (only checked 1 song and it was clipped. Do you guys personally go out of your way to check each song? Ie use audacity on every song before playing. Hoping to hear how to avoid this happening again. Thanks guys!

First off you can't blow a subwoofer by giving it less power than rms, under powering is not bad for a speaker at all..

Back when I purchased a bit of music I plugged a lot of it into WaveLab and hardly any of it was clipped. Those that did have clipping in it where just ever so slightly, such as 15ms or something on the first hit of a bass line.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

what was the amp?

what were the settings?

im assuming your settings were off and thats how you blew your subs.

Amp is a Pioneer GM-D9601 2400 watt amp. (Probably putting out ~1200 watts.) Gain was at half.

I know that you can't blow speakers by underpowering them, which is why I'm more geared towards it having been caused due to clipping rather than over exertion.

Have heard of the amplify method in Audacity and there are YouTube videos for it, just haven't ever gotten around to doing it. (Shame too because quite a few of my favorite songs have severe clipping)

Thanks for all the input guys!

Distortion in the music is not going to cause clipping. Having incorrect gain settings on your amp or HU that push your equipment to clipping will blow your shit. A clipped/distorted song will just sound like shit. You can still blow your shit with a clean recording if you clip your equipment

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

those subs are 400 watt rms. if your amp was putting out 1200 watts( i dont think it was) then each sub would see 600 watts each.

therefore overpowering. and add in a clipped signal and i can see why they blew.

I have 2 rf p2d2 12s on about 600-700 watts and thats right about where they start to sound bad and clip.

audacity cannot detect clipping. All that RED you see when you put on the find clipping option, all that means is the wave is over 0db. It doesnt mean it is square, saw toothed or anything else, just over 0db.

To see if a wave is actually clipped, you either have to zoom in enough to see the wave forms or find a program that ACTUALLY detects clipped waves.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

those subs are 400 watt rms. if your amp was putting out 1200 watts( i dont think it was) then each sub would see 600 watts each.

therefore overpowering. and add in a clipped signal and i can see why they blew.

I have 2 rf p2d2 12s on about 600-700 watts and thats right about where they start to sound bad and clip.

With gain set at half?

you cant unclip songs.

tuning your gains by ear is a huge mistake.

i make sure i dont clip by tuning gains properly with an oscilloscope or dd1.

So the clipping in the songs won't affect equipment as long as the system is tuned properly?

Archived