Second Skin Audio

Budget Bass Project

Deeznutz

Hey guys, so I was pawn shopping today and picked up a Hifonics Olympus 2415 DVC for $100 in present decent shape. I asked for a multi meter to check out the coils. Each coil read 2.3 Ohm.

15sub002_zpsbc39f4bb.jpg

15sub001_zps080710f7.jpg

Last week I picked up a Xtant X1001, except for the scratches, she works fine for $75.00. I was thinking about either keeping them for another install or flipping them for a few dollars on Ebay.

15sub003_zps5340eef7.jpg

If I keep the sub and amp, it will be for my gf's daughter truck who turns 16 during the summer and wants a Ford Ranger extended cab.

Just a thought. Total out of pocket is $175.00. Budget Bass Project.

Comments are welcome.

-Frank

The sub should be dual 3 ohm coils so a re of 2.3 ohm per coil seems fine, since the coils wired in parallel would give 1.5 ohm, then the amp wouldn't even be able to deliver the 1000W (peak I assume) at one ohm. The amp seems no match for the sub but if you still want to use it build a large box for the sub. like 3.75-4 cubes net.

Lol she would love it. My dad did the same thing for me with my car.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Thanks for the feedback.

Joe X, the sub looks new. The voice coils windings aren't black (like my blown Hx2). I looked at the Hifonics manual. The lesser model has a parallel reading of 1 Ohm. This sub has a 1.5 Ohm reading. Thanks for info. Before I bought the sub, I googled it. Sonic Electronics advertised it as 2 Ohm, but's really Dual 3 Ohm? Oh well.

So this is my first time having a massive sub of this kind. I moved from 4 12" old school Kicker Comps @ 750 W, to the 4 12" Rockford Fosgate Hx2 @ 1500 W, the difference was night and day obviously. What sorta sound should I expect from a sub of this size, with the power that it is asking to push it with? I mean in terms of things moving exponentally. Same sound as the Fosgates, only deeper and fuller? It sounds like a dumb question, but I guess I just need to hear a vehicle with 1k subs in it to know what to expect I guess.

As far as the X1001, via the internet, a few people reported 1500W x 1 @ 1 Ohm for this amp. I haven't seen it clamped, so I can't verify the claim. Plus, the Xtant looks to be a SQ sorta amp. Per the internet, owners of this sub use the Hifonics 2200.1 or 2400.1 BRX, something like that. But wow, a 250 Amp fuse rating??!! So that will call for a H.O. alternator and extra battery.

RootxBeer, yes I think she would absolutely love it. LOL. I haven't told her I have it, and I told my girlfriend not to say anything! (Let's see how long that lasts).

-Frank

Yes what you measure is DC resistance so it's always lower than impedance, the 2.3 ohm per coil is normal and when you wire them in parallel you will get a 1.1-1.2 ohm final load.

Sound of a sub will heavily depend on the enclosure, I'm sure it will be loud enough on the right power and more than enough for someone new to the game.

And yes definitely pushing rated to the sub would require electrical upgrades but running it to half power would result in about 3 db less for the same setup which is not that much less so I would recommend giving 1200 WRMS or so.

Archived