Sonic Electronix

FI Q 15 and hifonics colossus system - HELP!

Whether or not that 4 gauge is your issue. I would replace it to 1/0 pronto. I wouldn't trust 4 gauge to ground a 3k amp no matter how short the run.

How about your positive run to the back? Did you use stock?

I really want to know your voltage drop. Do you have a multimeter? Read your voltage at the amp right before it cuts out.

I will change that asap. As far as positive, there is a battery in the back that is the main power source of the amplifier. The battery is charged again by a 4 awg wire from the fuse black that is almost like a trickle charger and just keeps the battery charging when the car is running. I do have a mulitmeter and could test. It would take me a few minutes before I could give you the results.

All is cool. I'll hold for results.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Well I went to get my meter and realized it was left in my fathers car. I will be able to give readings tomorrow but for now lets say the voltage drop is minimal, what would you think? and if the drop was large, thoughts? By the way thank you!

YES big 3 makes a big difference. Reduces the amount of resistance going to and from your battery, and overall. Basically if you are running 2kw+ you NEED to do the big 3. Look at all the big builds, or small builds like mine, all have the big 3 done.

You are probably starving that amp for power right now. I'm almost willing to bet that is what your issue is.

So do you not have a front battery, and only a rear one? What car is this by the way?

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I do have a front battery, I have two batteries in total. It is a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer with the optional bose system. What does the Big 3 include. Its from the battery to the frame, the frame to the engine block, and the frame to the alternator? Is that correct? As far as staving power, if I were to preform a big 3, and change the current grounding spot to a better part would that fix my problem?

Big 3 consists of, well 3 wires.

Front Battery + to Alternator + stud

Battery - to frame

Frame (preferably same spot as the other ground) to engine.

But I went to the alternator casing instead of engine. I just took out one of the mounting bolts and put the ring terminal in there and then put the bolt back through. Just make SURE that the wire isn't going to rub on the belt or any other moving parts. Careful not to ground out the + when connecting things up as well.

If you felt real ambitious you could ground from frame to engine, and then frame to alternator casing. But the real objective is to have the alternator grounded anyways.

In addition to the big 3:

Upgrade the positive wire run to the back with 1/0 gauge. Yes it is expensive but that is a necessary upgrade when you start to run real wattage.

Upgrade the rear battery negative to frame/grounding spot with 1/0.

Upgrade the battery positive to amplifier positive input with 1/0.

Upgrade the battery negative to amplifier ground input with 1/0.

Make sure you fuse ANY positive cable off either battery. You fuse in case something rubs against the wire and shorts it out. So you fuse to protect the wire/your car.

If you don't fuse and something grounds out on any 1/0 positive cable your car will burn to the ground. No IFs ANDs or BUTs about it.

Upgrading electrical is one of the main things over looking in car audio. Thinking of it now, my electrical upgrades cost more than my amplifiers and subs together. If that tells you anything, and I STILL have voltage drop, more than what I want.

Okay, I'll take those things into mind. I don't know where you are located but where I am Tuesday looks like it will be the best day to try and do some major work under the hood. So as for now I will try to let you know ASAP voltage drop and work on the big 3 and ground on Tuesday. And will let you know then.

Yupp no problem. Just shoot me a pm, and I should reply ASAP because that gives me a notification through my email.

But anyways that's a hell of amount of power to run on 4ga lol.

Archived