Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Ported or Sealed


tc197

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey guys I just finished making my first box for my first system and I just had a couple questions about ports. I currently have two 10" Kicker shallow mounts being powered by a Hifonics brz 1700.1D.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PINn4gL6EZ7/p_2064CRT102/Kicker-40CWRT102.html#details-tab

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23547_Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1700.1D.html

My truck is a 2000 regular cab chevy C3500 and my box is 1.6 ft^3 (I have some pictures below)

Right now my box is sealed but I've been doing some reading and was wondering if it may hit lower and louder ported? One question I have is when the sub says it requires 1.25 ft^3 to be ported does that mean each sub will need it's own 1.25 ft^3 in order to be effective? Or would the two subs sharing 1.6 ft^3 be enough to port the box?

Would I even want to port these subs to begin with? And what kind of difference might it make?

Thanks for any help I really appreciate it.

Box_zpse4b9fb6d.png

IMG_2644_zps4cfabdd3.jpg

IMG_2648_zps3b4f38ce.jpg

IMG_2647_zps88cd96c7.jpg

Posted

Just get some poly-fill inside, it will sound a little better, if you want big sound then a blowthrough.

Posted

You would need 1.25 for each speaker, 1.6 total is not enough, you would be at or under 1ft3 after port displacement.

Ok good to know thank you very much!

Just get some poly-fill inside, it will sound a little better, if you want big sound then a blowthrough.

Sounds like a good idea, how much poly-fill does one add? Is it something I would pack in to the entire box? Also, sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean by a "blowthrough"? Thanks a bunch!

Posted

Just get some poly-fill inside, it will sound a little better, if you want big sound then a blowthrough.

don't think he's quite at the point of doing a blowthrough quite yet lol

putting poly fill inside is a good idea actually, didn't think of that.

OP problem is, it usually doesn't work to turn a sealed box into a ported one.

have you tried putting your box into torres and seeing what port length and what not you'd need to get desired tuning?

it's not just as simple as cutting a hole in the box unfortunately :P if you just cut a "port" in the box it will make it sound worse.

~ If it was easy, everybody would be doing it ~

Posted

Just get some poly-fill inside, it will sound a little better, if you want big sound then a blowthrough.

don't think he's quite at the point of doing a blowthrough quite yet lol

putting poly fill inside is a good idea actually, didn't think of that.

OP problem is, it usually doesn't work to turn a sealed box into a ported one.

have you tried putting your box into torres and seeing what port length and what not you'd need to get desired tuning?

it's not just as simple as cutting a hole in the box unfortunately :P if you just cut a "port" in the box it will make it sound worse.

My thought was that I would first see if porting was a good idea given the space I had to work with. (This was kind of answered by tim31610) Since I would essentially need to double or triple the volume of my box which doesn't seem possible without replacing seats and losing any leg room what-so-ever. If the porting was possible for my situation where only 1.5 ft^3 or so would work I would start from scratch and build a new box with a port in mind. I haven't heard of torres before either so I'll have to look that one up. Thanks for the help!

Posted

lol yeah it's torres' box calculator. there's a download for it somewhere on here in the forum. and im pretty sure adding poly fill will effectively double the box space the subs see. but after port displacement it's probably still not viable.

~ If it was easy, everybody would be doing it ~

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2853 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...