Koffinupalung Posted March 21, 2014 Report Posted March 21, 2014 Whats up guys. Wanna see if you could help me out. Im building a bix for Honda Element. Using part of the spare tire well for the enclosure. Will be running 2-Sundown Audio Sa10d4 subs wired to 1 ohm powered by a Sundown Audio Saz1200d amp. Question is how many cubic feet would i need for the box? I would like tuning to be around 32hz. I want to do a rectangular, port dimensions would be 6"tall by 3"wide, how long would it need to be? I have about 11" depth inside the enclosure.
timc31610 Posted March 21, 2014 Report Posted March 21, 2014 You will need about 2.5-3 ft3 net maybe a little larger. What are your max dimensions? My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
Koffinupalung Posted March 21, 2014 Author Report Posted March 21, 2014 The top portion of the box is 41 1/2" L x 13 1/4" W x 4"D. The bottom will be fiberglass using the spare tire well as the rest of the enclosure. I can net around 5 cubes total but that seems really large for these subs. 3 - 3.5 cubes seems good but i can even go larger or would it be a waste? If my port is 3"W x 6"H how long would it need to be to tune to 32hz?
timc31610 Posted March 21, 2014 Report Posted March 21, 2014 I feel like you are going to need more port area for those subs. 18 square inches may be ok for one but I would try to get closer to 40 square inches total maybe more. Im sure someone better versed than I in port calculations will come along and let us know what would be ideal. My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 21, 2014 Report Posted March 21, 2014 For net airspace you are going to want around 1 to 1.25 cubic feet per sub. A single 3" x 6" port is not going to be big enough. That's only 18 sq in of port area. For those two subs I would suggest at least 30 sq in. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Joe X Posted March 21, 2014 Report Posted March 21, 2014 OP don't do a excessively large box, 3.5 cubes will likely result in peaky and sloppy performance, if yo have space to spare and want to use it go for 12s.
Koffinupalung Posted March 22, 2014 Author Report Posted March 22, 2014 Ok . So i can make my box have about 2.75 cu ft of airspace. My port opening will be 5"W x 8"H. How long would i need to make it?
Joe X Posted March 22, 2014 Report Posted March 22, 2014 Don't know what you are doing but for those subs I would do a 6"x6" port 29" long if net volume was 2.75 to tune to 32 Hz. You should know how to determine net volume though.
Koffinupalung Posted March 22, 2014 Author Report Posted March 22, 2014 Don't know what you are doing but for those subs I would do a 6"x6" port 29" long if net volume was 2.75 to tune to 32 Hz. You should know how to determine net volume though.
Koffinupalung Posted March 22, 2014 Author Report Posted March 22, 2014 Thanks for the replies guys. Im new at building ported boxes. So if i were to keep net volume to 2.75 and tuned to 32 hz. Could i do 2 3" square ports 14.75" long. Im limited on box space for a 6"x6" 29inch long port. Unless i make it a square "L" shape.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.