Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

2 12 pioneer champ pro box build help


rashawnw

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have 2 12 inch pioneer champ pros strapped to a hifonics Zeus 3000. I am looking into building a box real soon dimensions I have found are 40w x 20d x 16 h with a 5 inch port. Think this would be good? I used re calculator to find dimensions. Says it rated for 33hz. This is my first box build and I want to do it right.

Posted

I have 2 12 inch pioneer champ pros strapped to a hifonics Zeus 3000. I am looking into building a box real soon dimensions I have found are 40w x 20d x 16 h with a 5 inch port. Think this would be good? I used re calculator to find dimensions. Says it rated for 33hz. This is my first box build and I want to do it right.

Others may disagree with me and I don't want to make you sweat, but I had/have a 12" Pioneer Pro 1000 watt nominal driver and had it in a sealed enclosure to get by with. I was also running it at 2ohms with a Hifonics Zeus 1800.1 at around 800-900 RMS. I was planning on building some sort of ported enclosure for it, as I hear that's what that speaker really likes (against what Pioneer recommends, as they recommend a sealed enclosure for the sub). Anyway, getting back on subject, I ran that speaker for about 3 weeks and it would get hot, really hot after playing a song or two of Jeezy. Now let me tell you, that sub got LOW, lower than my P3 15's do and it sounded great while it played. To the point of the story, it go so hot that it smoked and fried the coils and almost took my amp with it. No, I wasn't clipping, as I set my gain with a DMM (I know, not the best way, but the gain was only around 1/4-3/8 up). Basically I matched the voltage requirement with my DMM on the gain. I hope your subs last longer than mine. Those Pioneers have potential to be great subs, but I won't ever buy another. Now I have one hell of a stinky sub just sitting in my office as a paperweight! Good luck... Let me know how the ported enclosure works for those subs. I would like to know how hot they get. Just curious to know if a ported enclosure will help with the thermal issues...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Posted

I have 2 12 inch pioneer champ pros strapped to a hifonics Zeus 3000. I am looking into building a box real soon dimensions I have found are 40w x 20d x 16 h with a 5 inch port. Think this would be good? I used re calculator to find dimensions. Says it rated for 33hz. This is my first box build and I want to do it right.

Others may disagree with me and I don't want to make you sweat, but I had/have a 12" Pioneer Pro 1000 watt nominal driver and had it in a sealed enclosure to get by with. I was also running it at 2ohms with a Hifonics Zeus 1800.1 at around 800-900 RMS. I was planning on building some sort of ported enclosure for it, as I hear that's what that speaker really likes (against what Pioneer recommends, as they recommend a sealed enclosure for the sub). Anyway, getting back on subject, I ran that speaker for about 3 weeks and it would get hot, really hot after playing a song or two of Jeezy. Now let me tell you, that sub got LOW, lower than my P3 15's do and it sounded great while it played. To the point of the story, it go so hot that it smoked and fried the coils and almost took my amp with it. No, I wasn't clipping, as I set my gain with a DMM (I know, not the best way, but the gain was only around 1/4-3/8 up). Basically I matched the voltage requirement with my DMM on the gain. I hope your subs last longer than mine. Those Pioneers have potential to be great subs, but I won't ever buy another. Now I have one hell of a stinky sub just sitting in my office as a paperweight! Good luck... Let me know how the ported enclosure works for those subs. I would like to know how hot they get. Just curious to know if a ported enclosure will help with the thermal issues...

You clipped it to death plain and simple. Especially playing "jeezy" i guarantee you clipped the shit out of it. I have one of the 400w rms pioneers setup in my room, it was in my truck before and i was running atleast 800ish watts to it and I beat the hell out of it and the coil is still the nice copper color.

As far as a box design, some people with more knowledge should chime in.

Brandon

2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4

System:

welding wire throughout the truck

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Juicebox in stock location

8 Banks of maxwell supercaps

2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each

2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked)

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) :ph34r:

 

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

Posted

I have 2 12 inch pioneer champ pros strapped to a hifonics Zeus 3000. I am looking into building a box real soon dimensions I have found are 40w x 20d x 16 h with a 5 inch port. Think this would be good? I used re calculator to find dimensions. Says it rated for 33hz. This is my first box build and I want to do it right.

Others may disagree with me and I don't want to make you sweat, but I had/have a 12" Pioneer Pro 1000 watt nominal driver and had it in a sealed enclosure to get by with. I was also running it at 2ohms with a Hifonics Zeus 1800.1 at around 800-900 RMS. I was planning on building some sort of ported enclosure for it, as I hear that's what that speaker really likes (against what Pioneer recommends, as they recommend a sealed enclosure for the sub). Anyway, getting back on subject, I ran that speaker for about 3 weeks and it would get hot, really hot after playing a song or two of Jeezy. Now let me tell you, that sub got LOW, lower than my P3 15's do and it sounded great while it played. To the point of the story, it go so hot that it smoked and fried the coils and almost took my amp with it. No, I wasn't clipping, as I set my gain with a DMM (I know, not the best way, but the gain was only around 1/4-3/8 up). Basically I matched the voltage requirement with my DMM on the gain. I hope your subs last longer than mine. Those Pioneers have potential to be great subs, but I won't ever buy another. Now I have one hell of a stinky sub just sitting in my office as a paperweight! Good luck... Let me know how the ported enclosure works for those subs. I would like to know how hot they get. Just curious to know if a ported enclosure will help with the thermal issues...

You clipped it to death plain and simple. Especially playing "jeezy" i guarantee you clipped the shit out of it. I have one of the 400w rms pioneers setup in my room, it was in my truck before and i was running atleast 800ish watts to it and I beat the hell out of it and the coil is still the nice copper color.

As far as a box design, some people with more knowledge should chime in.

Maybe so.... I don't have a way to know if it clipped or not. Regardless, my P3's will take the pounding all day long. Just curious to know how the Pioneers handle in a ported enclosure. I would only think it helps the thermal issues. I can get the speaker repaired, so if porting it helps, I will get it repaired. I hope someone with some box design knowledge helps out here. I may have to use the design for another Pioneer build. LIke I said, the speaker has potential...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Posted

Ive had the subs for a few years now and always ran them in a ported box. I must say it does make a difference. These were pre fab boxes so they werent at their full potential but still good. My friend has ran his pioneers for about 4 years now and never had problem. I know building a bigger box will really bring these subs alive. So i figured why not? Just looking for further info before I start cutting the wood.

Posted

Thanks for the info on the ported enclosure. I don't want to give up on them yet, as I know what kind of potential they have. Hit lower than any 12" sub I've personally ever heard. I know there are good box designer's on this site that will be able to design a box for you and give you a cut list, as to not waste any wood. I'm sure they will want your max dimensions and the T/S parameter's of the sub. I wish I had the program to do it for you, but I don't. Thanks for responding on the ported/thermal issue. I think the sealed box is what gave me all my problems... Good luck man!

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Posted

For the Pioneer TS-W3002, trunk car, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, port clearance 3 3/4", maximum power: subs rated, trunk boxes need to be done on cardboard first to test fit:

2_3002.jpg

TSFPF-1.jpg

Posted

Thanks JoeX. This is perfect! I think I'm going to get the Pioneer repaired and buy a second. I think they deserve another chance. Even though I wasn't asking for the design, I appreciate it. Yeah, I cardboard my boxes now. I made the mistake about 8 months ago when I built my box for my 15's. Yeah, 1" too wide, or 1" too tall, either way you want to look at it. Freaking pissed me off! What a waste of MDF... DUH!!!

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Posted

Well I will be starting from scratch today. First box build did not go as planned lol. Ended up 1 inch too tall. Tried to cut some offs the top and all down hill from there. So after work today I will be starting from scratch. Thanks for the sub specs. I'll use those

Posted

For the Pioneer TS-W3002, trunk car, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, port clearance 3 3/4", maximum power: subs rated, trunk boxes need to be done on cardboard first to test fit:

2_3002.jpg

TSFPF-1.jpg

If i slot port this to the left or right side of the box would the hz remain the same?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 767 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...