Second Skin Audio

Enclosure for Type R's

JP-12

I am currently building a box for two 15" for somebody right now, 34hz is a really high tuning for this line of subs.

What should they be tuned to?

34 is fine for tuning. That box on rated power will sound good.

i have the same subs you have, i tuned my box to 30hz and i couldn't be happier! since I've owned them they've been in 3 boxes total. first was 43hz,second was 38hz, and this one 30hz i love the lower tune for these subs! i wouldn't go higher then 33hz.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

I am currently building a box for two 15" for somebody right now, 34hz is a really high tuning for this line of subs.

What should they be tuned to?

I personally would say 30hz, doing the calculations multiple times I have found that these subs like to be tuned lower then most. I am running on the assumption that you want a balance between SPL and SQ.

2002 Toyota Corolla

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Soundqubed Q1-2200d

Soundqubed HDC3.118

Soundqubed Q4-120

Alpine SPR-60

Alpine SPR-60C

I personally would say 30hz, doing the calculations multiple times I have found that these subs like to be tuned lower then most. I am running on the assumption that you want a balance between SPL and SQ.

Sorry I'm a noob, haha whats SPL?

I probably sound ridiculous, but i want it to be as loud as possible with good SQ

Sorry I'm a noob, haha whats SPL?

I probably sound ridiculous, but i want it to be as loud as possible with good SQ

haha SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level, in other words

tuning the box to 33 or 30hz would be perfect, I can run a sim on WinISD and design a box for you if you'd like?

2002 Toyota Corolla

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Soundqubed Q1-2200d

Soundqubed HDC3.118

Soundqubed Q4-120

Alpine SPR-60

Alpine SPR-60C

yea these subs def aren't designed for sq! and when i had the high tuned "spl" boxes they were loud! but i hated the way they sounded! so boomy and punchy. had no response below 35hz i mean none! zip zero! my subs are in 5.7 gross tuned to 30hz and i play up to 90hz all day no problem. i hpf them at 80hz. with that said i wish i tuned a Lil lower like 28 maybe even 26hz. with the low tune i can play anything from sublime, rock, rap,decaf with great accuracy and good deep bass.

heres a quick vid of my 2 12s in the 30hz box in a dodge Durango. Amp is a ct 1400.1 everyone says different power ratings but it's around 2000w

http://s846.photobucket.com/user/pasquariello1104/media/VID_20140207_175105_012_zps72e086b3.mp4.html

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Shoot.. So much advice, and I have so little experience, I dunno what to decide to do!

Tuning is personal taste, to give you an idea prefabs are tuned to 40-43 Hz (way high) they do get loud but are not fit for playing rap music for example, Alpine recommends your subs for a 35Hz tuning which you can verify in the manual (way below a prefab), but still tuning is taste, don't expect agreement between people on what's best tuning because there is none, anywhere 32-36 Hz is where you will find most daily boxes tuned to. I say just build one and see how you like it, if you want a different tuning I can change it no problem.

Shoot.. So much advice, and I have so little experience, I dunno what to decide to do!

Tuning is personal taste, to give you an idea prefabs are tuned to 40-43 Hz (way high) they do get loud but are not fit for playing rap music for example, Alpine recommends your subs for a 35Hz tuning which you can verify in the manual (way below a prefab), but still tuning is taste, don't expect agreement between people on what's best tuning because there is none, anywhere 32-36 Hz is where you will find most daily boxes tuned to. I say just build one and see how you like it, if you want a different tuning I can change it no problem.

Yeah most of the time I listen to rap or hip hop haha whatever you wanna call it.

I think I'm just gonna give the one you showed me a shot, I'm sure I'll like it since it's gonna be the first one I've built but I don't have the money to make several to see what I like better. My old prefab was just a piece of crap from Denios(a local flea market) hahaha so with my inexperience I probably won't notice the difference haha.

Archived