Second Skin Audio

what wood to use?

walwalka

I wanted to use Baltic birch for my box, but it is completely unavailable in my area. I looked into Arauco cabinet pine, I shortly found out that my two home depots with an hour drive are completely unable to order it.

I then went to the local lumber yard I found some 3/4in AB marine grade plywood that is completely void free.

How well do you think this would work for a sub box? Box will be 6^3 gross with 1in dowel bracing. And I don't care about how it looks as I'm carpeting the box. Again, would this work well? Indifferent? Or is there a better option?

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

Weight, dust, splitting, porous. I want to try and save the 20 pounds per sheet for the extra weight of going to two sub's. My xfl weights right around 50 pounds, my new sub's are 60 pounds together.

I'm working with limited weight carrying ability of a Honda civic.

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

You know, the baltic quality birch plywood weighs just as much as MDF. I used MDF myself.

I would use birch next time around. The dust SUCKS. And splitting is annoying BUT birch can split also. You are paying for ease of use. That is all.

Right..

there is BIRCH,.. and then sheet birch.

How many times ive seen

"shit, my home depot sells birch for 38 a sheet !!"

If your going that "cost" MDF is fine. Just have more cleaning up to do.

You do LEGIT birch .... thats a BIT different.......

Weight, dust, splitting, porous. I want to try and save the 20 pounds per sheet for the extra weight of going to two sub's. My xfl weights right around 50 pounds, my new sub's are 60 pounds together.

You wanna save 20lbs a sheet?

How many sheets are you doing? 6 ? 120 lbs?

Ok

EDIT- dunno what kind of build your doing, but i used 7 sheets and change on my wall..... roof, floor, trip baffle....... give you the ben of the doubt..

Ill admit, MDF dust is SHITTY.

but a extra 15mins of clean up? ... guess its up to you.

3/4 in Baltic birch is 75lbs per sheet in BB grade. 3/4in MDF is 96lbs, this is based on the research I did. I called a high end lumber yard about an hour from me and asked.

so.... again.. you use what 4 - 5 sheets?

Is the cost worth it to gain 100 if LBS?

shit, dont fill up fully..... if your that worried about it... hell.

Dude.. i used 3 -11 ply birch sheets, along with other sheets of baltic.

But.... shit... Im just tossing that out there.

You wanna save 20lbs a sheet?

How many sheets are you doing? 6 ? 120 lbs?

Ok

EDIT- dunno what kind of build your doing, but i used 7 sheets and change on my wall..... roof, floor, trip baffle....... give you the ben of the doubt..

Ill admit, MDF dust is SHITTY.

but a extra 15mins of clean up? ... guess its up to you.

In my case, more like 2 hours of cleanup lol. MDF is a love/hate relationship. It sands really well compared to plywood.

The ONLY other thing I hate about mdf is how sensitive it is to moisture. Even just the humidity in the air. Burch on the other hand will not fall apart if it gets rained on.

Archived