Sundown Audio

Can underpowering damage subs?

Deeznutz

Thanks guys. Yeah, I guess clipping would be the issue. Just when I thought I had my system complete, I find these subs, and back to the drawing board. I dont want to dish more money out again. I can return the VR for a full refund. I have til 7pm to decide.

My JL is set at say a 7,....0-10 scale. The bass is balanced perfectly with the Eclipse 6.5's.

With the VR, the bass is alittle obnoxiously overpowering the 6.5's. So I have to get the gain

to 4.5-5 to regain system balance. One way yo fix would be to expand my mids and highs.lol.

That's why I'm in a pickle.

If I keep the VR , than I juat need to expand the mids & highs down the road,.......because we are

never really content with our stereos. lol.

Anyhow these subs are on point. Cleanest that I've personally heard.

The bass is a little obnoxiously overpowering the 6.5s?

Well, get more power and fix that problem dude. No self respecting basshead would tolerate bass that only obnoxiously overpowered his mids a little bit....

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Underpowering on it's own doesn't damage subs. If that were true you'd blow subs every time you were casually listening with the volume down

However.... Turning your amp gain up to try and squeeze more put of your setup because you are underpowering, that will blow them. Clipping an amp is no bueno

Don't listen to him. He let his electrons leak onto his watch and welded it shut while it was on his arm.

LMFAO!!! But he right. That's why I asked what I asked. If your max volume is say 45, that'd be doing 900WRMS (hopefully, depending on the amp). But, what if you were playing at volume 4? You're not giving the 900WRMS, you'd be lucky to give it 75. And does it blow then? Nope. Doesn't hurt it at all. It's the clipping, the dirty signal, the yada yada yada that does....

LMFAO never going to let me live that one down :):ThatWasGay::)

:foshizzle:

Sheena = pedobear

Underpowering on it's own doesn't damage subs. If that were true you'd blow subs every time you were casually listening with the volume down

However.... Turning your amp gain up to try and squeeze more put of your setup because you are underpowering, that will blow them. Clipping an amp is no bueno

It never damages subs, only when the thermal or mechanical rating has been passed.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

The bass is a little obnoxiously overpowering the 6.5s?

Well, get more power and fix that problem dude. No self respecting basshead would tolerate bass that only obnoxiously overpowered his mids a little bit....

LMAO. Yeah, to that's what I was afraid of. More money to spend. I saw a old school Crossfire 2 way active electronic Xover on Ebay alittle while ago. It has the port for EBC which this VR amp lacks. So is that the concensus, just keep the VR and upgrade?? I can sell my JL amps and HX2's on Ebay.

I just arrived home from work. My ears are ringing like they did way back when. Feels good! My ears never rang with the HX2's!

Archived