Sundown Audio

Can underpowering damage subs?

Deeznutz

Ok, this may seem like a dumb question, but I still have to ask it.

It's more a matter of which amp to use.

I found a pair of old school Kicker Solo-barics, 12" 8 Ohm grey subs. Other

than a small tear in the surround which i quickly fixed with silicone.

I could not oass them up for $70. They metered @ 3.8 Ohm when tested in parallel.

They came in their own carpeted 1.75 cf box. I think theyre from 1996 era.

Anyway I hooked them up to my JL J2 1000.1. They sounded very clean but not loud enough.

I thought it was the 400W @ 4 Ohm that was the cause. So i ran to my local pawn shop and grabbed

a used Crossfire VR602. This amp puts out @>700W @ 13.8V .

So i go to disconnect the JL amp and see one RCA jack was disconnected. I stopped and reconnected and

retested. Bass doubled.

Crap! do I still need this amp I just bought??

. I still went a head and tested the VR602. Bass output doubled on top of that. But

when I play Dolla Sign stuff , man they reach their Xmax quickly withr VR602, and not so much with the JL. My RF HX2 10's can handle this new rap music just fine, but I like the idea of keeping my 1996

car and equipment correct for the era.

So my question. Is it ok to under power the subs w 400W RMS combined, when they truly call for 900W RMS

combined? which amp do i keep??

Either amp with my convertible top down is impressively loud.

-Frank

No. The manual for the subs say 450 RMS. But man its so hard to find amps thst run 4 Ohm now a days in the >400 W range. I flipped 2 RF T600.2 on ebay last week. If i would have kept one of them if I knew i was buying these subs. I like the subs, but alittle bit of a hassle trying to make them work. Meaning now I havr to get a matching VR amp for the highs. I hate mismatching my amps. lol.

Underpowering on it's own doesn't damage subs. If that were true you'd blow subs every time you were casually listening with the volume down

However.... Turning your amp gain up to try and squeeze more put of your setup because you are underpowering, that will blow them. Clipping an amp is no bueno

Underpowering on it's own doesn't damage subs. If that were true you'd blow subs every time you were casually listening with the volume down

However.... Turning your amp gain up to try and squeeze more put of your setup because you are underpowering, that will blow them. Clipping an amp is no bueno

Don't listen to him. He let his electrons leak onto his watch and welded it shut while it was on his arm.

LMFAO!!! But he right. That's why I asked what I asked. If your max volume is say 45, that'd be doing 900WRMS (hopefully, depending on the amp). But, what if you were playing at volume 4? You're not giving the 900WRMS, you'd be lucky to give it 75. And does it blow then? Nope. Doesn't hurt it at all. It's the clipping, the dirty signal, the yada yada yada that does....

Sheena = pedobear

there are plenty of amps that will do 400 or even 800rms @4ohm

your just not looking at the right amps

most kicker amps are ratted @2ohm so what ever the advertised rating just double it i.e. zx750 will be 750-800@2ohm 375-400@4

most other brands are rated @1ohm so you'll have times it buy 3-4 i.e. q1-2200 is 2200@1 but 500@4

rf R1200 is 1200@1 400@4

Will driving a BMW slow damage it ? I mean ... It IS a sports car.

Current setup in my 96 Hoe

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Amps - (4) Crossfire C5 1700D's, MTX Thunder 5604(mids), PPI Art 300.2 (tweets)

Batts - 4 91ah rear batts, 50ah batt up front.

Subs - 2 Crossfire XSv2 18's

Alt - Singer 330A

Front stage - Random JL & Eclipse mids, Eclipse tweets

Don't listen to him. He let his electrons leak onto his watch and welded it shut while it was on his arm.

LMFAO!!! But he right. That's why I asked what I asked. If your max volume is say 45, that'd be doing 900WRMS (hopefully, depending on the amp). But, what if you were playing at volume 4? You're not giving the 900WRMS, you'd be lucky to give it 75. And does it blow then? Nope. Doesn't hurt it at all. It's the clipping, the dirty signal, the yada yada yada that does....

LMFAO never going to let me live that one down :):ThatWasGay::)

Archived