How can you tell if your alt is bad?

So i've got a mechman "260" amp alt. Today, on my way home, my voltage was charging at 13. pioneer 80prs says voltage was 12.7, rear volt meter to amp said voltage was 13.1. DMM says voltage at 13.1-13.2. Alt usually charged around 13.6 to 13.8 . Big 3 is done, frame chassis and engine ground, 1/0 from alt to batt, batt resting voltage is 13, rear batt resting voltage is same, rear batt is grounded to the frame, along with the 2 amps. My factory volt meter also reads low 13s. Also the alt does get quite hot. Signs of bad alt ? I know a few months ago the alt just got a brand new voltage regulator. So idk whats going on. Any input would help lol.

Current setup in my 96 Hoe

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Amps - (4) Crossfire C5 1700D's, MTX Thunder 5604(mids), PPI Art 300.2 (tweets)

Batts - 4 91ah rear batts, 50ah batt up front.

Subs - 2 Crossfire XSv2 18's

Alt - Singer 330A

Front stage - Random JL & Eclipse mids, Eclipse tweets

Let me also elaborate, everything was fine, got my car tinted, on the drive home noticed the voltage. Also the EQ on my 80prs was changed, so maybe he un-hooked the battery ? Gonna call him tomorrow, but just seeing what signs of a bad alt would be. All connections are secure and tight.

Current setup in my 96 Hoe

Hu - Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Amps - (4) Crossfire C5 1700D's, MTX Thunder 5604(mids), PPI Art 300.2 (tweets)

Batts - 4 91ah rear batts, 50ah batt up front.

Subs - 2 Crossfire XSv2 18's

Alt - Singer 330A

Front stage - Random JL & Eclipse mids, Eclipse tweets

On mobile so can't see your location. If comparing voltage to what was norm during winter months to the hotter temps now that could be why you are seeing a difference. Also if its pcm controlled, battery is fully charged, and no accessories are on then voltage could be lower for the lack of demand.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

My prs is .2 off from my Damore meter.

Dunno if its calibrated to be a bit lower, or if its due to me tied in up front on OEM wire, vs the Damore meter being tapped right to my rear bank. :shrug:

But, Alaskan is correct also. Heat plays big time in output.

If eq was changed And its been turned up theres your issue.

And yes Prs will be off from amp voltage not sure why though...as mine is wired to rear bank

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

My prs measures roughly .2 lower then a dmm while car is on but is within roughly .05 of resting voltage but from what I can tell it rounds down rather then showing the full decimal of the voltage. 12.8=prs 12.88=dmm type of thing.

since he didn't mention voltage drop in assuming he is talking about charging voltage with out strain on the electrical which means changes in settings won't effect voltage. I doubt a .3-.4v change from eq settings. I doubt change of voltage due to changing eq settings period actually.

op check all your connections, maybe something came loose. It does/can happen.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

My prs measures roughly .2 lower then a dmm while car is on but is within roughly .05 of resting voltage but from what I can tell it rounds down rather then showing the full decimal of the voltage. 12.8=prs 12.88=dmm type of thing.

since he didn't mention voltage drop in assuming he is talking about charging voltage with out strain on the electrical which means changes in settings won't effect voltage. I doubt a .3-.4v change from eq settings. I doubt change of voltage due to changing eq settings period actually.

op check all your connections, maybe something came loose. It does/can happen.

Clipping.

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Archived