3/4 race cam

What is a 3/4 cam? I've heard people use this term for ages, yet I've not the faintest clue as to what it is.

<(patiently waits to teach a lesson, while hoping as to not to have the appearance of being a dick)

<(not being a dick)

What's a 3/4 Race Cam?

In the early 1950's the most popular original camshaft designers were the legendary Ed Winfield, the father of hotrodding, and Cliff Collins of Harman-Collins. If you look aHuntington's 1951 book you will find the specs for their cams listed. We've also listed some of their cams on our Flathead Performance Cams page. There were lots of cam grinders that copied Winfield and Harman-Collins cams, but these two were the designers and innovators in the early days. It was popular to refer to cams as a 1/2 Race orSemi grind and a Full Race grind. Later, there was a call for an intermediate grind between these two. To fill this demand, Ed Winfield took the intake lobe from his full race cam and the exhaust lobe from his semi cam and called it a 3/4 Race cam (see Flathead Performance Cams). It was literally half way between a full race and 1/2 race cam. Since that time, 3/4 Race has become a generic term for a high performance street cam, i.e. something less than a race cam.

from herehttp://www.tildentechnologies.com/Cams/Take_34Race.html

Well, good on ya mate!

My point was people refer to a 3/4 cam as a one-size-fits-all-its-not-stock grind. A race cam can be so varied, it's insane. The numbers on a turbo, 4000hp 737" will read WAY smaller than a nitrous cam for the same cubic inches. If you change the header legnth by 1", you must change cams. Therefore, "race cam" doesn't mean much.

All that really matters to most people are intake and exhaust duration at a specified lift, lobe lift, lobe seperation angle, and intake centerline.

Commonly listed as: 255/261, .490/.490, 115lsa, 112ic.

However, that still doesn't tell you much. Lash ramps, flank, rate, jerk, velocity etc. are the more important numbers, and are virtually never published.

If you want a better sounding 283, I'm sure I've got something floating around you can have, gratis.

These are things I know nothing about(but hope to someday), just figured that would answer your question. And on the free parts, nah, we got a ton of old Chevy parts from whole motors to carbs, I just wanted to try this out to see if it would sound anything like em not actually putting the motors in a car but thanks anyway(most of our cars have 383 stroker's). If you would have any use for an Inline six and transmission from a 60's mustang my shop teachers got one he's looking to get rid of.

3/4 race cam

What is a 3/4 cam? I've heard people use this term for ages, yet I've not the faintest clue as to what it is.

<(patiently waits to teach a lesson, while hoping as to not to have the appearance of being a dick)

<(not being a dick)

You do not have to teach me any lessons. I have a College Degree. Well, a couple actually.

My Dad was the mechanic / Drag racer / Paint and body Man of the family.

Me, I'm a Cable Guy and Audiophile with a very strong Car Audio and Home Theater background.

But I have been taught a thing or two about mechanic / paint and body work

... And I've been acused of going down that 1/4 mile drag strip a few times.

I would say a couple of street races, but we all know nobody does this ... LOL

I will have to see if I can find it to get you a specific part number ... I did not know I was under any gun there.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

3/4 cam is really just an old school way of saying a big lumpy cam that's almost strictly for racing but not just quite. Which cam technology has come a long way since then.

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition-Singer 240A Alt, Odyssey Battery,Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, Pioneer GM-DX874 powering Kicker CSS67 front-CSC5 rear, and Memphis PR 1.1000 powering 12in SSA ICON in G.P. ported box.

2003 Tahoe-320A Alt, Odyssey Batt,2 Resilient Sounds Gold 15's sealed powered by Crescendo BC2000D, Turbulent Designs Ported box AVH601EX head unit and Pioneer 3ways in all doors.

3/4 cam is really just an old school way of saying a big lumpy cam that's almost strictly for racing but not just quite. Which cam technology has come a long way since then.

Yea I think I bought it back in 1989 ish ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

Check into Offenhauser, they may do a custom grind and surely have specs of cams they've done in the past. You can't be the first guy that's wanted to cam a Flat 6. Isky may be another Randal. I THINK, maybe even Matt(ParDeus) could possibly hook you up with either a company or the part.

Yea when I get back into it I'd like to find a tripple single carb set up for it too ...

But most likely it will remain stock. It runs TOO good to actually change something.

3/4 race cam

What is a 3/4 cam? I've heard people use this term for ages, yet I've not the faintest clue as to what it is.<(patiently waits to teach a lesson, while hoping as to not to have the appearance of being a dick)<(not being a dick)
You do not have to teach me any lessons. I have a College Degree. Well, a couple actually.My Dad was the mechanic / Drag racer / Paint and body Man of the family.Me, I'm a Cable Guy and Audiophile with a very strong Car Audio and Home Theater background.But I have been taught a thing or two about mechanic / paint and body work... And I've been acused of going down that 1/4 mile drag strip a few times.I would say a couple of street races, but we all know nobody does this ... LOLI will have to see if I can find it to get you a specific part number ... I did not know I was under any gun there.

I wasn't being a dick.

Would you not correct someone in audio if they referenced, say, the amplifier gain as a volume knob?

Same thing.

And, my mother has gone down a dragstrip, probably faster than most anyone here.(not driving)

This does not qualify her as knowledgeable as to camshafts, nor allows her to use incorrect terminology.

That's like me saying I'm now a sound engineer, because I've listened to music. Again, not being a dick.

I just would like to prevent someone that reads this, and at a car show (or wherever) talk about 3/4 cams. They would instantly lose all credibility with somone who knew their shit, and make for a most unfortunate situation.

Also, bringing up college degrees do not help. The most intelligent/wealthy/successful people I know don't have college degrees. College is, at best, a rudimentary education that only gives you a basic background on your chosen field of study. Once you graduate, it is up to you to learn the intricacies of your field.

Again, not being a dick. However, I doubt you will take it that way.

Archived