axevon Posted April 9, 2014 Report Posted April 9, 2014 Just a short, possibly unfortunate question: I bought a FI SSD 12 during the black friday sale last year and just now got around to doing some testing. Both coils read the appropriate 1.7 ohms and I don't think I heard coil rub when pushing down (I don't exactly have any experience with what the rub feels like) Anyway, at high excursion I hear a sound that almost sounds like air escaping around the sub exactly at the frequency of the tone. At first I thought it was the fault of the gasket that doesn't perfectly seal against the box, as their is a tiny sliver of space when fully tightened down. I know the box isn't leaking because it never made the sound with the Soundqubed sub. Is this the infamous "ticking" I hear of that causes a sub to be sold as "B" stock such as the ones in the Sundown Audion Garage Sale? Is this big enough of a deal to contact FI about? How much damage would this cause if it was the worst case scenario? Thanks! Dorm room setup: SQ SDC2.5 12" @ 8 ohms Klipsch 300 watt home theater sub amp Marantz 1030 amplifier Future car build: Audio Technix 1200.1d Fi SSD 12 w/ cooling and flatwind coil 6th order dual reflex enclosure
P4killer_ Posted April 9, 2014 Report Posted April 9, 2014 Id think ticking to be a mechanical sounding noise rather than an aiiirry noise if that makes sense. Make sure that the surround or dustcap isnt lifting or doesnt have any holes. Make sure the screw holes are all fully tightened. Sometimes ppl rotate subs and make a new set of screws holes every so often after mounting and unmounting a bunch of times. If that were the case maybe air is getting out from those. Id be interested to see what others say, but id think ticking to be mechanical clanking or something Setup: 2010 Hyundai Elantra Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000 Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of - DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s
n8ball2013 Posted April 9, 2014 Report Posted April 9, 2014 Ticking? Coil rub sounds crunchy. Its pretty unmistakable. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
ImaNoob Posted April 9, 2014 Report Posted April 9, 2014 I would check loose screws...Those can make a chirp noise when loose...in for what other say also 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Xs3400 1500BDCP FI BL 12 3sq @ 32hz Rockford t675 T400.2 Stinger Deadner Build Log Here
P4killer_ Posted April 10, 2014 Report Posted April 10, 2014 Ok so if its a form of coil rub, then you should be able to feel it likely. Push center on the sub real slow multiple times up and down and you should be able to feal the scrapage. but i doubt FI would send you a sub with coil rub. B stock would be cosmetic stuff scratches etc but 100% working. Setup: 2010 Hyundai Elantra Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000 Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of - DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s
axevon Posted April 10, 2014 Author Report Posted April 10, 2014 Id think ticking to be a mechanical sounding noise rather than an aiiirry noise if that makes sense. Make sure that the surround or dustcap isnt lifting or doesnt have any holes. Make sure the screw holes are all fully tightened. Sometimes ppl rotate subs and make a new set of screws holes every so often after mounting and unmounting a bunch of times. If that were the case maybe air is getting out from those. Id be interested to see what others say, but id think ticking to be mechanical clanking or something The dust cap happens to be carbon fiber so would that make it more prone to leaking than a conventional cap? I would check loose screws...Those can make a chirp noise when loose...in for what other say also Well it wasn't exactly a chirping noise but that does sound closer than crunching ... I don't think it's the screw's fault since the other sub was fine but I might redrill if nothing else works Dorm room setup: SQ SDC2.5 12" @ 8 ohms Klipsch 300 watt home theater sub amp Marantz 1030 amplifier Future car build: Audio Technix 1200.1d Fi SSD 12 w/ cooling and flatwind coil 6th order dual reflex enclosure
axevon Posted April 10, 2014 Author Report Posted April 10, 2014 dbl post... Dorm room setup: SQ SDC2.5 12" @ 8 ohms Klipsch 300 watt home theater sub amp Marantz 1030 amplifier Future car build: Audio Technix 1200.1d Fi SSD 12 w/ cooling and flatwind coil 6th order dual reflex enclosure
axevon Posted April 10, 2014 Author Report Posted April 10, 2014 Ok so if its a form of coil rub, then you should be able to feel it likely. Push center on the sub real slow multiple times up and down and you should be able to feal the scrapage. but i doubt FI would send you a sub with coil rub. B stock would be cosmetic stuff scratches etc but 100% working. I definitely trust Fi with their products, I just want to make sure there's no damage being done. I don;t feel anything and definitely don't feel any scraping so I thought that would eliminate coil rub. I have always thought coil rub and "ticking" were two different and completely unrelated things... Dorm room setup: SQ SDC2.5 12" @ 8 ohms Klipsch 300 watt home theater sub amp Marantz 1030 amplifier Future car build: Audio Technix 1200.1d Fi SSD 12 w/ cooling and flatwind coil 6th order dual reflex enclosure
P4killer_ Posted April 10, 2014 Report Posted April 10, 2014 I mean trying putting pressure with your hands on certain parts. not real hard or nothing but if you your thumb over a screw hole or two and the sound changes a bit then thats a clue. Or if you apply very slight pressure to the cap or push down on the gasket etc. Any gap larger than a mm from gasket to box is a leak imo. put tape from the gasket to the box like sealing the sub. if it sounds better itd be a leak also. obvi if you feel air then yea its a leak. Setup: 2010 Hyundai Elantra Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000 Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of - DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s
axevon Posted April 10, 2014 Author Report Posted April 10, 2014 I mean trying putting pressure with your hands on certain parts. not real hard or nothing but if you your thumb over a screw hole or two and the sound changes a bit then thats a clue. Or if you apply very slight pressure to the cap or push down on the gasket etc. Any gap larger than a mm from gasket to box is a leak imo. put tape from the gasket to the box like sealing the sub. if it sounds better itd be a leak also. obvi if you feel air then yea its a leak. I agree. I thought a leak was the culprit because it sounds airy but at the same time it sounds more substantial. I will try putting tape around it to see if that helps. Any suggests for kinds of tape and/or would silicone caulk be a good sealant? Dorm room setup: SQ SDC2.5 12" @ 8 ohms Klipsch 300 watt home theater sub amp Marantz 1030 amplifier Future car build: Audio Technix 1200.1d Fi SSD 12 w/ cooling and flatwind coil 6th order dual reflex enclosure
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.