Second Skin Audio

Which one to sacrifice? Box volume vs. Port volume...

Add the woofer displacement and it will be around 2.5net each.

2.5+2.5+75sq.inch+displacement = gross.

Port width and length is up to O.P. as long as its 75sq.inch

ok but port lwnght takes away from net, the 75" of port area does nothing to net volume until you add length to it. Then there is bracing, maybe double baffle, 45s or PVC rounded corners. You don't know what op has in mind. Giving gross volume is misleading. Net volume is far more accurate to estimate.

say he decides he want a 5cyft net box with .97cuft of port deisplacent and .4 of bracing and 45s then there is .23 from the double baffle and .4 from subs. You end up with 7cuft gross. Take the 45s out and your say .3 shorter in displacement and he doesn't have to account for a double baffle because he chooses not to go that way. Then he gas a box that is 6.47cuft gross.

guess what though if we say he should aim for 2-2.5 net he has a range that is constant no matter what extra things he does or doesn't do inside the box. Its the accuracy of suggesting a giving net volume over gross that matters.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

7 cubes gross sounds about right for those subs. Unless he's running an ungodly amount of power. My friends hdc3 12s and x 12s were both in a 7.5 cube gross box and they got down.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Add the woofer displacement and it will be around 2.5net each.

2.5+2.5+75sq.inch+displacement = gross.

Port width and length is up to O.P. as long as its 75sq.inch

ok but port lwnght takes away from net, the 75" of port area does nothing to net volume until you add length to it. Then there is bracing, maybe double baffle, 45s or PVC rounded corners. You don't know what op has in mind. Giving gross volume is misleading. Net volume is far more accurate to estimate.

say he decides he want a 5cyft net box with .97cuft of port deisplacent and .4 of bracing and 45s then there is .23 from the double baffle and .4 from subs. You end up with 7cuft gross. Take the 45s out and your say .3 shorter in displacement and he doesn't have to account for a double baffle because he chooses not to go that way. Then he gas a box that is 6.47cuft gross.

guess what though if we say he should aim for 2-2.5 net he has a range that is constant no matter what extra things he does or doesn't do inside the box. Its the accuracy of suggesting a giving net volume over gross that matters.

Yes you are correct,port length will take from net volume. But the whole point of this thread is more port or more net. Op now that you have told us you will be using 7k rms,7 cubes is to big and will probably have a loss of output compared to 6 gross 2 net. Anyways,like i said. If you choose to keep 7 cubes gross,your still gonna need 75sq inches of port. It is up to you to decide on port length because of any internal bracing ect that you add.

if your running 7k i wouldn't go bigger then 2.5 each. ill putting more then rated to my sub but me and another member are planning a box to.help sub excursion so that shouldn't be a problem. if you go to big witj that much power your risking pushing them to far

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

I say this a lot but, i prefer to use software to calculate box size and port dimensions. It takes a little more time to figure out but it takes out a lot of guessing and in the long run makes a much better box if its done correctly.Some software I use and would recommend (all free) is winISD and torres tuning calculator. Using those tools can help you find the perfect box for your equipment and application.

(sorry to plug the software like that i just think its the best way to go when designing boxes haha)

Archived