Second Skin Audio

Which one to sacrifice? Box volume vs. Port volume...

I am building a box for 2 american bass vfl 12s, they are going in a 2009 Mazda 6 and I am obviously limited in space in the trunk. I would like them in 7 cubes after displacement and after batteries and displacement in the back i cannot get that box volume. So if I shrink the port and lose box volume i can get 7 cube or i can shrink the box and get my 13 square inches of port volume. My questions are..... 1. How important is it to stay in between 12-16 inches of port volume. ( the car will be used for 80% daily and 20% comp.) 2. If i shrink the box to keep port volume it will end up around 6.3 cubic feet after displacement. is that to small for these subs and will I be sacrificing my lows in a smaller enclosure?

7ft3 is a bit much for 2 12's. I would like to think you would want to be around 4-5ft3

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

I don't know those subs but you can combat box volume with power but can't combat the lack of port volume.

for 12s I would think you should be in the 2-2.5cuft net per sub range.

port area to box volume is not how it works. Port area depends on the xmax and sub size mostly.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

If you dont have 5krms on tap,you will probably want to do 75sq.inch port 7 cubes gross.

this right here is not a good response to ops question. How do you know 7cuft gross is what he needs to to get desired bet volume? There is no real way of saying what gross volume one needs for any build. Only net volume can be said for any build. Gross means nothing.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

If you dont have 5krms on tap,you will probably want to do 75sq.inch port 7 cubes gross.

this right here is not a good response to ops question. How do you know 7cuft gross is what he needs to to get desired bet volume? There is no real way of saying what gross volume one needs for any build. Only net volume can be said for any build. Gross means nothing.

Lol,subtract 75sq.inch from 7 gross will give you a net before displacement.

if you Can get 6 cubes net plus the correct amount of port your all good. the difference between 6 and 7 cubes isn't worth Less port!

.7 cubes isn't gonna do much anyway. you will still have good lows. anything bigger then 2.5net your gonna comprise the rms rating. which can cause your subs to bottom out or over xmax.

so in short if you have 6.3 cubes after port disp your looking real good Man. you have nothing to worry about

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

2 12" american bass vfl's ,2.5net 37.5 sq inch each sub. Will be 7 cubes gross after woofer displacement. Not sure what point everyone is getting at. But like i said,if you dont have the power to feed two vfl's you will be using 7 cubes gross. 2.5 cubes net isnt too much for 12 vfl's unless you are going over 3k each woofer.

Archived