Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Port Clearance Clarification


Cj Kumz

Recommended Posts

Posted

Choked port FTL.

Joe X need your help man. On the external clearance does tuning go up or down. Or does it depend on the car?? I am using a VW Polo hatchback if that helps. So the port is just next to my back window.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Posted

I had a similar issue here (between 12 and 10" port) and I found that cutting the port area was superior to having too little clearance internally. Some cars can work with less clearance externally but it will definitely change effective tuning (possibly not how you'd like), it can create a situation where the port doesn't load properly at all and you wind up with essentially a leaky sealed box (bad for subs and sounds like dirt), and you'll never know until you test in the vehicle.

Or you could tune up about 5 cycles and shorten up that port.

Thank man. So internally lemme stick with 10 inches from the bottom. I hope the internal clearance from the side walls doesn't matter cause I got little space there lol. Prob is when I shorten the port will tune to about 42hz for daily but will do it.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Posted

With aero ports I allow a min of 1/2 the dia

As it's no different to a 2 common wall port where the port is split in half and half goes left half goes right

Is it perfect no, doesn't it work yes, quite well

But I order for it to work the port cannot be in a corner or edge of a box because that would restrict the port

For a 10" port 5" away from back wall

You need 5" of clearance on all side all the way around and that is a minimum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3493 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...