Cj Kumz Posted April 28, 2014 Report Posted April 28, 2014 Hey guys, ok sometime back I opened a page to do with port clearance. But I just wanna verify something. I have just built an enclosure with a 10 inch pvc port. It is a 5.5 cube box. Issue is the clearance on both ends. From the bottom of the box to the roof I gat 33 inches and I need a daily setup. So when I subtract 10 clearance for bottom and for the top also, I remain with 13 inches which tunes to around 43hz lol. Any recommendations guys???? Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Joe X Posted April 28, 2014 Report Posted April 28, 2014 That's a disadvantage of using a 10" port, you can go with smaller ports, it's hard to think what needs to be done without any infos on a project.
Cj Kumz Posted April 28, 2014 Author Report Posted April 28, 2014 That's a disadvantage of using a 10" port, you can go with smaller ports, it's hard to think what needs to be done without any infos on a project. So I was thinking of getting away with at-least 5 inch clearance on both ends. What you think??? Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Joe X Posted April 28, 2014 Report Posted April 28, 2014 I'd go for an elbow or something like that before cutting clearance.
Cj Kumz Posted April 28, 2014 Author Report Posted April 28, 2014 Oh ok. I will try search around on how I can make a bend on that port.. Thanks again. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
alaskanzx5 Posted April 28, 2014 Report Posted April 28, 2014 Some people say that for such a big port with a good flare on both sides you can go down to half of the diameter (radius) of clearance. I hadn't tried it yet but I plan on giving it a shot to see how it turns out for myself. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Cj Kumz Posted April 29, 2014 Author Report Posted April 29, 2014 Some people say that for such a big port with a good flare on both sides you can go down to half of the diameter (radius) of clearance. I hadn't tried it yet but I plan on giving it a shot to see how it turns out for myself. Yah I thought so too. I will try that out. Just need to also know how to tell if the clearance is too short. Cause it could be short but might not be able to tell you know. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
alaskanzx5 Posted April 29, 2014 Report Posted April 29, 2014 Well, to small of clearance can great a difference in tuning freq, change in freq response, and noise. imo if you like the way it sounds then don't worry about it. I wouldn't try cutting port clearance on ports smaller then 10" diameter, maybe 8" diameter but only if running more then one of them. I can't say for sure what any I'll affect would be though because I haven't tested it for myself yet. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Cj Kumz Posted April 30, 2014 Author Report Posted April 30, 2014 Yah makes sense. Shorter clearance in the box will cause port noise/chaffing and shorter on the outside will cause the change of frequency?? What are your thoughts over that. I am thinking of maintaining the 10 inches inside then mess with the outside. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
hispls Posted April 30, 2014 Report Posted April 30, 2014 I had a similar issue here (between 12 and 10" port) and I found that cutting the port area was superior to having too little clearance internally. Some cars can work with less clearance externally but it will definitely change effective tuning (possibly not how you'd like), it can create a situation where the port doesn't load properly at all and you wind up with essentially a leaky sealed box (bad for subs and sounds like dirt), and you'll never know until you test in the vehicle. Or you could tune up about 5 cycles and shorten up that port.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.