Philrab's Mazda3 daily driver/kid hauler

I like the purple idea, make the black pop and enhance the look.

Gotta think it over. Bitch is if I do it and hate it, then gotta grind it off and bedline again.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Just don't hate! lol

Yeah, probably run that question by my wife (art degree, artist, she's got the eye for the aesthetics, I'm just really good at building the shit she comes up with.) When she saw the finished product as it stands she had no criticisms at all. Think that caught her eye was how well it filled the space, followed the depth of the package tray, ect. (none of which was accidental, I built this thing to the measurements I wanted, then tweaked it till the net airspace was what the sub wanted.)

Spent a morning playing with it, playing a lot of alternative and post grunge, things this enclosure and sub wasn't really designed with in mind. I wanted to make sure what I'd built was reasonably flexible. I can say happily, it plays pretty much whatever I throw at it with just a slight tweak to the sub level at times. It'll happily play Green Day, Incubus, Live, Collective Soul, ect. and turn right around and smoke dubstep and rap. No complaints at all.....except now I want to throw a few hundred more watts at it.

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

• 1 month later...

First time competing Usaci this sunday. I'm expecting to be seriously outgunned for lots of reasons, but I'm curious what this sub will put down. After some time with it, it's obvious that my original goal to be able to play very low with reasonable authority was succesful. I ran White Clouds - decaf through it with a close ear for the sub bottoming out, and I was very impressed. The sub never bottomed out at full tilt, just shook the whole vehicle like it was the end of the world. Felt like I clamped my teeth around a tuning fork. I really wasn't expecting an SA12 on just rated power to bang that hard that low.

Won't be any big upgrades for a while. I've got a serious electrical upgrade in my future before I can reliably run 2K to the sub stage. When I get there, may be looking at another SA12 or possibly an X or ZV4. We'll see. In the mean time, I'll keep busy with projects and builds for local guys.

Build Thread

• 4 weeks later...

No work on my car, funds are dry. Thought I'd post a couple of boxes I designed and built for some locals while I build up my stash.

Design for 8 8's in the back of a Blazer behind the back seats. Guy wanted something he could build outside of the vehicle, then bolt in and build a beauty panel around. It's shown port on the DS, I told him everything is symetrical so he can shift the port to center if that's his preference.

O4psayol.jpg

Design for a Tahoe, two RF P3's that someone was reconing for more power. Had very limited info other from the builder, so I had to take a lot of the specs on faith.

Xc0W8p8l.jpg

Box design and build for 3 Hifonics 12's in the back of a 90's Honda Accord.

JjBbFxCl.jpg

IZ9XExBl.jpg

Box design and build for a single DD9918. Little more net airspace than recommended, and little lower tuning freq. Owner wants to hurt Decar and Chopped N Screwed music, so I did what I could to shift his bandwidth a bit lower. Going in the back of a Blazer, keeping the back seats. I tried to swing him to subs up port back, he shot me down and insisted he wanted sub back, so that's the way we went.

ACmFMjKl.jpg

Design shows only two baffles, we ended up with three (two to mount the sub to, and the flush mount.) After I did the initial design, I got paranoid about the front baffle being strong enough.

mpPGYbhl.jpg

All done. Used 1/4" grade 8 bolts into hurricane nuts to mount the bastard. Not really visible is all the shallow 45's inside the box to add some strength at the seams and help smooth the airflow. Also have a 45' in the corner of the port to try and keep the cross sectional area of the port as close to the same through the 90 degree turn the port makes.

Build Thread

Nice boxes Phil, how'd the competition go?

Didn't stay to run. Long story, got sick as shit while there and had to bail early.

Thanks for the kind words about the boxes. Guys on here do much better work than I do, so I appreciate the thumbs up. I have a lot to learn about prettying them up though.

Build Thread

• 1 month later...

Finally made it on the meter. Went to a DbDrag event last weekend. Not a crazy high score, but for 1 12" on 500 watts I was pretty surprised. What do you guys say? 30 second average, on music, sealed on the dash.

awFzVISl.jpg

And already I'm planning to build a new box. I want to build something to replace the false floor and tool tray that makes up the bottom of my hatchback, that way I don't have this huge box taking up half the hatch. Rough measurements that I can live with show about 6.5 cubes gross. Going to look at doing a T-line down there if I can make the dimensions work with my Sa12. If that just doesn't play nice down there, I've already got a backup plan for a 2:1 ratio 4th order bandpass. Either way, going to hold off on a power upgrade, and see what I can get out of this little power. If I do the T-line, more power probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway. If I go bandpass, I could tolerate some more power perhaps. We'll see what the tape measure says.

Build Thread

Archived