Second Skin Audio

4th order rolloff/crossover point questions...

I plan on tuning the ported portion of my 4th order to 50hz. Does that mean I want my front speakers to have a high pass cutoff of 50hz and pick up everything the box doesn't output? My crossovers are 12db/octave.

My problem is that my amplifier high pass point is fixed at 100hz. If I go through the trouble of making a 4th order, will I be missing a huge chunk between 50-100hz? Or will they "crossover" enough?

What should my front high pass setting be with a 4th order box?

Well, if my understanding from TFade is correct, you have a 12dB/octave on the upper end of tuning and also the low end. So from 50-100 Hz(1 octave), you'll lose your 12dB. So if the design of your box is good and ACHIEVES this well, you're highs should blend down into where your subs fall off. There will most likely be a dip though, as that's the nature of the bandpass. It's like, how strong could the bass possibly be at the top end of where it's falling off@a 12dB/octave(should be very noticeably quieter). Granted, it's way way better than a 24 dB/octave slope but still. I would want the mids to come on as strongly as possibly in the 80 Hz range I'd possible to blend better.

I hope that was coherent. I don't necessarily think it's as black and white in a vehicle cabin, but the basics of slope and rolloff do apply.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

you didnt say what mids or midbass you have. This is also important. Can your mids really play down to 80?

I'll have 2 sets of Boston Acoustics components and one 8 inch acoustic research sub in each door. It should play to 80 and well below.

Why are you tuning your enclosure so high ?? What is your vehicle's resonate frequency ??

And no matter of the enclosure tuning, I would set my crossover (12 db octave) at 70 htz.

Test and tune from there ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Why are you tuning your enclosure so high ?? What is your vehicle's resonate frequency ??

And no matter of the enclosure tuning, I would set my crossover (12 db octave) at 70 htz.

Test and tune from there ...

I don't know? After reading the 4th order basics thread I thought 50hz was a decent midway point in tuning for a 4th order. I will never know the resonant frequency, I'm crippled and can't do that kind of testing.

A single 10" sub in a sealed enclosure(with Qtc add close to .707 as possible) and you can watch the cone. When the cone appears to be not moving at a certain frequency, that should be ~ resonant frequency. That's a quick a general way to get dang close to your resonant frequency.

^^^pure memory from can't even remember when.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived