Thoughts/criticisms on this 3-way door setup?

_paralyzed_

This is my plan. Two sets of Boston Acoustics 5 1/4" components, along with an Acoustic Research DVC 8", powered through 3-way passive crossovers. I am doing away with the Boston's passive crossovers. This is per door.

2 channels of a 4 channel amp will be ran to each door into the passive crossovers. Then the power will go out to each component set, and the woofer output of both crossovers will be ran to the DVC 8". The components are rated at 50wrms, and the 8" is rated at 100wrms.

What does everyone think?

141EE4B3494F0000FA100002-attachment-1-IM

The drivers I like. The way you plan to hook them up ... No.

How do you know that the new passive crossovers will protect your drivers like the origioinals.

If I remember correctly, BA crossovers were really good made.

I would go (similar to the way I'm setting up the 49 Ford) is the 5.25" component set passive and the midbass drivers active.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

These are the "s50" entry level line from BA. I've opened up the crossovers, they're nothing special.

These 3 way crossovers are rated at 500wrms. I am confident in the crossovers.

I'd love to go active with the 8", but without access to an RTA I'm afraid of what my tuning will be.

Obviously active would be better, but this is what I'm going with. If it's horrible or lacking in any way I'll bite the bullet and buy an active crossover.

Thanks for the thoughts. Any other thoughts or criticisms from anyone? I want to learn!

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Are you going with a pair of tweeters, a pair of 5.25" drivers, and one 8 on the left and the same on the right with a single pair of passive crossovers ???

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

So I take it that you plan to use a (fairly large) 2 channel amplifier for this ...

EDIT: make that a 4 channel amplifier or hopefully a pair of 2 channel amplifiers ...

So I take it that you plan to use a (fairly large) 2 channel amplifier for this ...

A crossfire cfa-404s. I'm still undecided if I just use 2 channels at 2 ohm for 100wrms x 2, or if I go all 4 channels at 4 ohm for 50wrms x 4. The same power, obviously the lower ohm 2 channel option won't be as clean, but it simplifies wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had very good luck in the past using 3-way passive & active in terms of sound quality. However,3 way passive crossovers are specifically designed for one type of driver. I had one hell of a time trying to find passive crossovers for any mix match 3 way sets that i have owned. Yes they will work & no the drivers will not (unless you get lucky) play nice and flat across the spectrum. Aiming & placement of the drivers will also only work well with what the crossover wants. There are many fixed settings if not jumper settings to be considered while using passive 3 way such as phase control,attenuation control,frequency slopes,frequency q ect..... what does sound good though is 3 way active which can be done on a pioneer 80prs and a few more amps. Even if they are low powered amps, active will be loud and pure.

Archived