alright so my brothers girlfriend has problems with her computer, she gave it to me to see if i could fix it. but the damn thing wont turn on, its got a new power supply so for sure that isnt it. i made sure everything is connected like it should be but when i push the power button i get nothing. any ideas on how to trouble shoot the problem? could it be the power button itself? if so how would i test that? thanks guys

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

i guess i havent tried that, it is a brand new power cord so i doubt that is what it is, it has a new 500watt power supply in it.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

how new is the power supply and what kind/wattage is it? was the power supply replaced because of this issue and now it still doesnt power on? are you sure it can support the computer? do you have a psu tester to verify? might be the mobo or even the button on the case. try shoring the pins on the motherboard that the power button goes to with a paper clip or something...

it is brand new, it was bought because of this problem. i cant for the life of me remember what brand it is.. i guess i could try that.

i have a dmm, could i check for resistance on the power putton? if the button is out i shouldnt have any power, if it is in i should have continuity right?

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

sounds right to me...

are you certain all fans are plugged in too (in particular if there is a fan on the cpu heatsink. many motherboards wont power on if that fan is not plugged in).

You can also use this process to definitely determine the PSU is not at fault (cause then you might be able to return it and keep using the original): http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22

if there is a grounding problem on the mobo it might have killed that psu before anything else happened.

Edited by maademperor

Are the fans turning on but nothing shows up on the monitor? Try it with a different monitor. If that doesn't work, the mobo's more than likely dead.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

no nothing comes on, no fans, no lights, nothing. there is no power going to anything. ill try the screw driver thing. i just connect the two power things right?

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-