Need a few opinions, tranny issues.

So I've had an 01 Honda Ac cord for about 2 1/2 years now. I've never had a problem with the car aside from normal wear and tear things.

In two and a half years I've only had to replace, rotors, brakes, and battery. I've kept the car up to date with oil changes, every 3k.

Anyways now for the horror. Other day I was driving, made it about 2 streets from my house and coming out of the stop sign I felt something start grinding. Car wouldn't move in drive. I started it back up, there is no noise as the car idles....

It is idling slightly higher than normal, around 1200 rpm. Is this normal for transmission damage? When I press the accelerator I'm getting that same nasty grinding noise. I can let off the pedal, the noise does not go away. Transmission fluid was right at the point it should be. It did have a very faint burnt smell. I did not see any transmission fluid on the ground when it happened or since I had it towed.

I had the car towed home and the tow driver was telling me the car was sliding off the bed of the truck while in PARK.

I just would like a few opinions on what you guys would do in my position.

The car has 185k on it. Other than this transmission issue, I've never had a problem with the car. I was quoted around 700-850 for a transmission. With tranny and labor I'm looking at 1000-1200 (got these quotes from local shops.)

Would you guys cut your losses on the car, or replace the tranny?

Sorry for the short story. Lol

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Depends on whether or not you can afford to go out and buy another car. If you want to keep it cheap then Id say go for just the transmission replacement but then you have to worry about how many miles are on the car. If it were me Id replace the transmission but I also get attached to my cars. Lol

If I do decide to buy a different car I really don't have to much of a budget. Probably 2,000 at the max.

The car has 185k and still runs really smooth. No engine noise, runs fairly quiet, does not burn any oil.

Just afraid if I do go for another car I'm going to get stuck with something that has more issues than this car (I know that's the gamble you take buying cheap.)

I think I'm just baffled the transmission showed no signs it was on the way out. Fluid was full, and it did have a SMALL hint of burnt-ness to it, but nothing overwhelming.

I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Tough to say whether it is a transmission problem or a differential problem, but since they are both housed in the same unit your kinda stuck on getting it replaced or starting over with a new car. As long as the car is in overall good condition and you feel as though it is capable of lasting a few more years than i would replace the trans in it.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

If thats your budget then I would definitely say just replace the transmission. As for having it go out out of no where, that's actually pretty common when it comes to trannys. One day you're going down the road and the next a band blows or clutch plate or you shred some teeth on the planetary.

Tough to say whether it is a transmission problem or a differential problem, but since they are both housed in the same unit your kinda stuck on getting it replaced or starting over with a new car. As long as the car is in overall good condition and you feel as though it is capable of lasting a few more years than i would replace the trans in it.

Yeah I've done a bit of research and I know these cars are notorious for transmission failure. I worked on diesel engines for two years and I'm familiar with the grinding noise. I've had a few cars blow trannies but, I've never heard that awful grinding sound until now...

Had another one of my buddies give it a quick look today and he immediately said transmission. I'm going to try to get a quick video tomorrow in the day light of the noise its making.

I havent drained any of the transmission fluid to see if there is any metal in it.

Kind of waiting to see where things go before I make a decision.

oh lawd.

Bumping for more input.

Would a tranny issue result in unstable RPM's? Is it normal? Or am I looking at engine issues as well?

oh lawd.

My buddy also reccomended to check the park pin out. It is still grinding LOUDLY in gear. I'm going to try to get a quick video today.

I CAN shift in an out of park, but it makes the horrible grinding. The shifter itself is not stuck in park. The car just seems to not want to lock into park.

Will park pin cause the car not to move as well? Seems like it has no desire to move in D4, but I have not tried manually shifting it yet.

oh lawd.

Archived