Hi, I hope I am posting this in the correct section of the forum. I recently acquired a second subwoofer. My amp (Pioneer GM3500T) is a 2 channel with the option to bridge. originally I had 1 sub running off each of the channels at 4 OHMs (what the amp is rated for). I then decided that the results werent too good so I tried wiring them in parallel. As both the subs are 4 ohm the load should be 2ohm I cannot find anywhere on the pioneer website about this amp being wired at 2 ohms. I was testing it and it seemed fine plus the subs were ALOT louder. It also didnt seem to get too hot at all. So my question is: Is it ok to have the amp at 2ohms?

NOTE THE SYSTEM IS IN MY ROOM

System:

1 x Pioneer TSWX 303 in seperate box (4 ohm SVC, about 1 year old)

1 x Pioneer TSW 300r in seperate box (4 ohm SVC, dont know age but i know it is much older than other sub)

1 x Pioneer GM3500t [2x 200W (4 Ω) or 1 x 400W (bridged) (4Ω), I have it wired at 2Ω BRIDGED without problem)

1 x 500 watt PSU which gives about 390 watts 12v

Voltage at any ohm level is 12.4 without playing and 12.05 at higher than listening volume.

Current system (NO CAR FFS):
1 x Pioneer TSWX303
1 x Pioneer TSW300r
1 x Pioneer GM3500t @ 1ohm (NOT RATED FOR THAT LOAD)

Subscribe to me on YouTube: youtube.com/user/purebasshavoc

I DO BASS BOOSTS THAT AREN'T DISTORTED AS HELL

I looked at the website it is rated at 85 w per channel at 2 ohms. but because you have it bridged basically each channel is getting 1 ohm each which the amp isn't rated for which technically is not good for the amp. while it will work it is probably doing more harm than help. I am a noob still myself but I would definitely consider getting a larger amp if you aren't satisfied with the power it is putting out

Check out my build slow but... slow and steady wins the race

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185561-1st-build-budget-toyota-mark-2/

I looked at the website it is rated at 85 w per channel at 2 ohms. but because you have it bridged basically each channel is getting 1 ohm each which the amp isn't rated for which technically is not good for the amp. while it will work it is probably doing more harm than help. I am a noob still myself but I would definitely consider getting a larger amp if you aren't satisfied with the power it is putting out

Hi, I am not fully understanding the concept of the impedance. When I read the load at the end of the wires which go to the amp my multimeter gives me a reading of ~2.9 ohms. I followed a tutorial on youtube and they had it at 2 ohms, I followed every step. Also even when the wires are in the amp terminals the ohm load is ~2.9 ohms not 1 ohm. So if what your saying is correct should I just wire the subs to 1 channel each or Bridge and then wire in series rather than parallel.

60W × 2 (a 14,4V, 4 OHMS)

185W × 1 (a 14,4V, 4 OHMS)

85W × 2 (a 14,4V, 2 OHMS)

PS. I just read what I said through and it sounded really rude, I did not mean in any way to undermine your knowledge. My apologies.

1 x Pioneer TSWX303
1 x Pioneer TSW300r

i wouldn't suggest wiring the subs together at all, they are different subs and the weakest sub will die in time.

I dont mind if the weakest sub dies because one it isnt too good and two I got it for free.

1 x Pioneer TSWX303
1 x Pioneer TSW300r

Just a little FYI here...

You cannot accurately measure impedance (Z) with a multimeter. A multimeter can measure resistance which is a DC measurement. Z is the AC equivalent of resistance but it varies with frequency. A simple DMM cannot take frequency into account when taking a measurement.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab

"Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."

Archived