Wiring Question

Hey everyone. I recently bought a stinger volt meter and a toggle switch to control it. How would i go about wiring the two? I would probably like to check voltage at my battery to watch for voltage drop. Thanks!

Pretty sure the power terminal from the battery goes to the switch and the power from the stinger goes to the accessory terminal of your toggle switch and ground accordingly

Check out my build slow but... slow and steady wins the race

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185561-1st-build-budget-toyota-mark-2/

Hey everyone. I recently bought a stinger volt meter and a toggle switch to control it. How would i go about wiring the two? I would probably like to check voltage at my battery to watch for voltage drop. Thanks!

Not sure about this gear (how many wires it has on it), but typically you would wire:

battery + ------ switch side 1 - switch side 2 -------- positive volt meter lead

battery - ------ negative volt meter lead

On a typical switch, doesn't matter which side is connected where.

If the volt meter has three leads coming off of it, it is most likely positive, ground, turn on (remote wire). Positive and ground would be done as I said above, but the turn on wire would be connected to your remote wire (or any wire that turns on with +12v when the car is on). I'm assuming you want to measure voltage at your amps, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to run wires to your amp + and - terminals in case a voltage drop is occurring over your power/ground cables.

EDIT: Quick google of stinger volt meter shows it has 3 wires - red, black, and blue'ish.

Red wire ------------ switch side 1 - switch side 2 -------------- battery + (or amp +)

Black wire ---------- battery - (or amp -)

Blue wire ---------- remote wire (or any +12v accessory line that turns on with the car)

This wiring configuration will turn the meter on and off with your vehicle's accessory power, but also give you the extra control to turn it off at the switch if you don't want it running while the vehicle is on.

The remote wire I think is the voltage sense wire. Connect that to what you want to watch voltage at ( biggest amp is my preference ).

then power wire to switch, switch to meter

of course solid ground

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Not sure about this gear (how many wires it has on it), but typically you would wire:

battery + ------ switch side 1 - switch side 2 -------- positive volt meter lead

battery - ------ negative volt meter lead

On a typical switch, doesn't matter which side is connected where.

If the volt meter has three leads coming off of it, it is most likely positive, ground, turn on (remote wire). Positive and ground would be done as I said above, but the turn on wire would be connected to your remote wire (or any wire that turns on with +12v when the car is on). I'm assuming you want to measure voltage at your amps, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to run wires to your amp + and - terminals in case a voltage drop is occurring over your power/ground cables.

EDIT: Quick google of stinger volt meter shows it has 3 wires - red, black, and blue'ish.

Red wire ------------ switch side 1 - switch side 2 -------------- battery + (or amp +)

Black wire ---------- battery - (or amp -)

Blue wire ---------- remote wire (or any +12v accessory line that turns on with the car)

This wiring configuration will turn the meter on and off with your vehicle's accessory power, but also give you the extra control to turn it off at the switch if you don't want it running while the vehicle is on.

So how does this look? On the pic im going to post i have it showing it checking the voltage to the battery but i am going to run it to the amp.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/fi_ssd150/media/wiringdiagram_zps38b2b2c3.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Archived