need help with supercharger

so my girls 2000 grand Prix gtp fuel pump died today. that cost me $650. i couldn't do it my self because she had to get it towed out of the middle of the road. so i know i got screwed right there! $200 part 2 hour labor... maybe...

anyway.this guy said he went threw the car and the supercharger bearing is bad. And his cost to fix it would be $1,700

i went on a few different sites and seen that the couplings go bad. there a $40 part and less then a hour job. however i didn't see anything about bearings in this supercharger.

So are there? or is this guy the scum i.think heis?

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

First of all, get roadside assistance, either through your insurance or something like AAA. Fuel pump is easy in that car, you got raped.

As for the supercharger bearing going bad, did this guy explain to you how he came to that conclusion? Did he give you a reasonable tie frame for it to go out completely? Who authorized him to "go over" the car?

Fuck that guy, get your car out of there. The s/c rebuild probably is as pricey as he stated, but do you really need it yet?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

i don't believe him one bit. my.girl broke down in the middle.of a panicked and called 911. i know women right! i highly doubt he drained all the oil from the S/C and checked the bearing.

but if its only the coupling its $40 and a 6 pack worth of work. i honestly don't know if there are even bearings in this S/C or is he just talking about the coupling. that's what i need to.know.

every time i googled gtp S\C bearing it just showed coupling nothing about actual bearings.

not even sure if it is bad..THIS GUY AIN'T TOUCHING THIS CAR AGAIN!

i just need to know if im missing something here

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

Complete working S/C for $200 bucks.

http://moradpartscompany.com/

"for the compleat S/C drain the radiator and remove the fuel ralls then remove the bolts holding the S/C to the (LIM) lower intake manafold. water is used to heat the (TB) throttle body and passes thru the LIM into the TB. I usually take the thermostat housing off and use a vaccum cleaner to lower the water level in the LIM when taking a S/C off a eng. It's not a hard job if you work on any cars. Good luck."

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

By memory, the GTP's used a positive displacement blower/roots type supercharger. I'm sure the bearings will wear eventually, but they're pretty tough and don't spin as fast as other types of superchargers (typically half the speed).

Get the fuel pump replaced, then rock on. Give the supercharger a listen. Blower whine isn't out of the ordinary, but anything that sounds like a bearing should be looked at further. If the supercharger were to come apart or clip lobes, it'd send debris straight into the engine and trash it.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

thanks man really! my girls freaking out thinking she's gonna loose her new Baby. i Told her No way is it gonna cost $1,700 fuck.that! i seen the work already seems pretty easy.

are.there even ball bearings in this thing tho?

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

thanks man really! my girls freaking out thinking she's gonna loose her new Baby. i Told her No way is it gonna cost $1,700 fuck.that! i seen the work already seems pretty easy.

are.there even ball bearings in this thing tho?

Yes they have bearings, but the coupler is made to wear out, saving the bearings from replacement. If you do experience problems(noise), just replace the coupler.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

ok thank you so much bro! really! just took allot of stress off my shoulders!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

Yeah they have bearings that can wear out but usually that doesn't happen. how many miles are on the car? Also for $1700 just to fix it is a total ripoff you can buy a completely rebuilt one from zzp for $800

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived