Sundown Audio

Real world amp tests

Afficionado

What frequency do you propose to use for testing then?

I feel 40 is a happy medium.

The frequency is not the problem. Dynamic tests also occur at 40 hz. The problem is that a certified test does not resemble how music will be played in a car. A dynamic test is more similar to how music will be played in a car, and in my opinion is a more accurate test of amplifier capabilities.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

The certified test isn't supposed to simulate how it will perform on music.

It's like the ultimate torture test for the amp and if it can't produce it's power like that then It doesn't do rated plain and simple.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

The certified test isn't supposed to simulate how it will perform on music.

It's like the ultimate torture test for the amp and if it can't produce it's power like that then It doesn't do rated plain and simple.

You're right, it's an ultimate torture test.

But who decided that it is what determines if an amp does rated?

If an amp does it on dynamic, how can you say that it isn't making its power?

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

Well apparently you decided it isn't so let's just go with your opinion.

Yours seems to be the only one that matters right?

Sure it matters what it will do on music but if it can't put out the power on a sine wave Which should produce the most power then it isn't doing rated.

Even the cheapest Rockford amps hit rated on certified, hell even their budget brand lightning audio hit rated on certified.

So what's everybody else's excuse?

I can't think of a good one.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Rockfords lowest line just BARELY passes certified. Probably if it was at 14.4v which people usually wouldn't see, it wouldn't have even passed certified. Which is fine.

I'm not deciding which test means it passes, I'm just giving my opinion in my thread. If an amp can make its power on music, then it is making its power. Thats my opinion. If someone can present me with a logical reason as to why a dynamic test should not determine amplifier output, I would GLADLY change my opinion.

I am not married to any thought. I will believe whatever has the most evidence/logic behind it.

There is steve testing one with PLENTY of voltage.

Still did rated at its rated voltage.

so how is that an issue?

Does rated at 14.4 which is the voltage it was rated at

then you say it only did it because of voltage, pure comedy.

Most on this forum could hold 14.4 on a 750 watt amp.

although almost none of us would buy one.

I wish Tony D would chime in and educate us all on the subject, I'd love to see you debate it with him.

I think certified runs matter since that's what most companies advertise their amps ratings at 1% thd. So if their going to sell based on those ratings the need to do the rated power at that. He'll even a budget JBL amp did well over rated certified.

It's like rubbing your wiener up against a sheep.

Still did rated at its rated voltage.

so how is that an issue?

Does rated at 14.4 which is the voltage it was rated at

then you say it only did it because of voltage, pure comedy.

Most on this forum could hold 14.4 on a 750 watt amp.

although almost none of us would buy one.

It did it at 14.62. So it may or may not have done 750 at 14.4

I think certified runs matter since that's what most companies advertise their amps ratings at 1% thd. So if their going to sell based on those ratings the need to do the rated power at that. He'll even a budget JBL amp did well over rated certified.

Thats legit, if a company advertises a power at 1% thd, it should be able to do it.

Archived