Sonic Electronix

New system burnt coil already!?

Sigh....

Now you go on to say the fi is telling you not to wire down to .5 but ask a forum of people who do not work for FI if you should do it. Fuck it get another 5k and do one per coil.

:ninja:

Much agreed...

But user error comes into play, this thread for instance.

I ran 2 SAZ-4500's wired at .35 each and had 1 amp on each coil on the 18inch SMD v1 woofer that was only 3500watts rms. Its practically the same coil used in the 4inch coil drivers from Fi, but a longer former.

That woofer took that power like a champ, with ZERO issues. However proper electrical, knowing how to set the amp gains, and where to set your subsonic and low pass filter played a huge part, along with knowing when to turn the volume knob down.

I ran this setup for months, banging it a lot, without issues.

Until I put it in a friends truck on his single SAZ-4500. Tuned the stereo the same way.

But it wasnt as loud as when it was in my truck so he turned the bassboost all the way up along with the gain, burnt the tinsel leads to hell and back.....

The coil is still fine, and took serious power, This is why I have a hard time believing a defective coil like stated in this thread.

These woofers are hand built and the coils come from one of the best coil manufactures in the industry.

Im not saying defects cant happen, but when they are building the woofer it is easy to spot the majority of flaws that could arise from a bad coil when the woofer is being built.

That being said, if it was indeed a defect, several users with the woofers would be having these same issues and Im sure there would be several threads regarding this issue, and Fi would send out a recone to those users who are affected by this bad batch of coils that ordered woofers in said time frame.

If I was you and you were keeping the Sundown5000D I would get a D1 sub, wire to 2ohm and give it 2300'ish watts. BUT in a better scenario get a D2 sub, wire to 1 ohm, and get a 3000-3500 board amp.

Just me though

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

But for future purposes i can get a second sp4 rather than buy a second board amp

Well if you're already planning on getting a second then I would get a D1 this time, get a D1 on the next one, wire to 1 ohm, set gains correctly, and go ham......

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived