Second Skin Audio

Port Area Ration???

KWP123

I've noticed while playing with a tuning calculator that the more port area I use the shorter my port length needs to be to achieve my desired frequency. My question is, what is the rule of thumb for port area? I know between 60-80 inches of port area is wanted based off of the total volume of the enclosure. I'm exactly 5cuft so for me to have 80 inches of port area I could run a 4x20 port but is 4 inches too wide? Could I run an 8x10 port I noticed that as I change my port dimensions on the tuning calculator that the port area ratio changes even if my total area stays at 80 Sq inches. I've had as high as 1:17 and as low as 1:4 So what should the port area ratio be around?

Ignore the ratio and rule of thumb such as the 12-15" per cuft rule.

design the box to the speaker(s). Every speaker needs a different amount of net volume and port area. You might come across a 15 that needs 3.5-4cuft net and 50" of port area where as there might be another sub that needs 3.5-4cuft net volume and 80" of port area.

the ratio difference between those 2 boxes differ a good amount.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Ok so I've been working on two different boxes one for 2 fi bl 12's and another box for 2 fi team 15's. (Two boxes because I still have to convince the wife to allow me to remove the back seat completely to get enough volume for the 15's) I've looked on fi and all it says is 1.5-2.5 cuft per sub for the bl 12's and 3-5 cuft per sub for the team 15's. I can't find anywhere about port area needed. Right now for my 2 bl 12's I have a 4x20 port at 19 inches long and tunes me in at 32.02Hz is 4 inches too wide?

I know most people say, power doesn't matter when designing port area and net volume. But in my opinion, it does. Because, think of the water hose scenario. If let's say you have a single 15", with 100cuin of port, but only 500 watts, then the port is too large, and there will be no force behind the air movement. But, now if you add 3,000 watts, obviously there is a lot more air movement for said port area.

Really, it's all gonna come down to tuning and needs. Test.

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy

Talk with customer service and ask them if they can tell you recommended port area.

look up builds with those subs to see other box designs for those subs.

take notes and try to build around those notes/findings. Test the box out to see how you like it and how the subs perform in it. If your unhappy with it or the subs don't seem to like it then try and figure out why and what can be done differently to get what you want. Its going to be trail and error with research to get a good box design.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I've noticed while playing with a tuning calculator that the more port area I use the shorter my port length needs to be to achieve my desired frequency. My question is, what is the rule of thumb for port area? I know between 60-80 inches of port area is wanted based off of the total volume of the enclosure. I'm exactly 5cuft so for me to have 80 inches of port area I could run a 4x20 port but is 4 inches too wide? Could I run an 8x10 port I noticed that as I change my port dimensions on the tuning calculator that the port area ratio changes even if my total area stays at 80 Sq inches. I've had as high as 1:17 and as low as 1:4 So what should the port area ratio be around?

The port area ratio should stay below 9:1 as an absolute limit, but 6:1 or lower is what I would recommend.

Archived