Expensive taste Posted June 16, 2014 Report Posted June 16, 2014 Hi everyone. I'm planning on going active for my front stage in my 06 trailblazer and was hoping I can get some input on a set of mids and tweets I've been planning to buy and am finally about to buy them if I get positive feed back. I've had 2 different passive sets, one was a set of pioneer 6.5" coaxials (did not like these) in front powered by a RF T8004. Sold the speakers after 2 years and picked up a set of used 6.5" alpine type Rs (did not really like these either). Both sets were in factory location. the equipment I have: SUB- 1 fully loaded 18" Fi Q d2 in a 7.5 ft^3 box tuned to 28hz powered by an Sundown 1500 HU- 80PRS ordered. Had an alpine 9857 ELECTRICAL- 180 amp alt, big 3, 1 run of 1/0 to 2 group 31 batteries in back. Front battery is nothing special. DOORS- 1 layer of Dynomat and hoping to add quite a bit more sound deadening and baffle work for new speakers. FRONT AMP- RF T8004 power series. For the front stage I was planning on going more for a flatter response and something that would be more "mello" and more enjoyable to listen to for extended periods of time, I drive between 2-2.5 hours of driving a day and music is one of my biggest loves so I need to have music that sounds better. SB Acoustics SB26STAC-C000-4 1" Textile Dome Tweeter SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, 6.5" Woofer Tweets would be on ch 1&2 and mids on 3&4. I'm hoping after I do some serious sealing on my doors I can get the mids crossed at 62hz. These would be in the factory locations . The tweets will be right above the mids (I'll need to do a little modifying on the doors) and will be crossed,between 2-3k. I'll try a few different ones once I get the 80PRS. I'm very excited about that HU I listen to a lot of live music, jazz, classical, and sometimes Chillstep (check out life of sin part 1-5 by mitis) I'm hoping with these on the power I have available they will be smooth and detailed while being turned up. I've read some good reviews on the SB Acoustics but haven't and can't listen to them. Has anyone dealt with the company or any of their products? For DIY speakers they seem like they are well built and are in my price range. Hoping someone can help, positive or negative feed back is appreciated
White Lightning Posted June 16, 2014 Report Posted June 16, 2014 Welcome to SMD. One thing that I can suggest is that vehicle is unique in one case that can help you. Go to a junk yard and find a similar vehicle with the BOSE system. Then get the speaker brackets out of the doors. You can EASILY modify them to fit 8" drivers into your doors without major modification. Might can look into Beyma drivers for something like this. May be a tad pricey, but worth it !!! Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado "The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually" Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet) Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch
Skullz Posted June 16, 2014 Report Posted June 16, 2014 I may be wrong but i believe those are the same as the Arc Audio black series speakers in the raw version, and the arc speakers sound really really good but the price is way beyond what you get for the speakers, the costs of the black series is in the crossovers they use. 01 Ford focus ZX3 Pioneer AVH-X491BHS PPI PC 4800.2 Morel Maximo 6.5" x2
Expensive taste Posted June 17, 2014 Author Report Posted June 17, 2014 Thanks for the replies. Beymas are really out of my price range. And the crossovers for most component systems (including the arc audio black) are not great. Which I why I want to go active, WAY more control and flexibility over the passive way. Do you guys think that with the sb acoustic tweeter, which is much bigger than the arc tweeter, would outperform the arc? Will the sb acoustics I have picked out be a good "bang for my buck" or can I find something better for same or less $. Again the mid will be in stock location and tweeter right above it. Both speakers can be found at Madison's Thanks again
White Lightning Posted June 17, 2014 Report Posted June 17, 2014 And the crossovers for most component systems (including the arc audio black) are not great. Which I why I want to go active, WAY more control and flexibility over the passive way.I've run passive in my Sound Quality vehicle for years and have SEVERAL trophies to show for it. It's all in the way you install, time align, and tune your system. So you can not simply say that active is better than passive. WAY too many factors come into play there. In Fact, We have a trailblazer on our team that runs passive and has just about as many Sound Quality throphies as I do (that's where I got the idea on the doors from) ... Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado "The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually" Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet) Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch
diatribe Posted June 25, 2014 Report Posted June 25, 2014 These are NVX SB Acoustics tweeters that you may want to consider. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68822_NVX-XSPTW.html
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.