Second Skin Audio

Box Idea

timc31610

Hey guys, I was playing with a few ideas in my head and wanted to run this by the experts. The pic below is not to any scale, it is just a mockup. The port should be open on the RH side but I could not get Sketchup to cooperate and of course there would be a front on the box.

BoxIdea_zps3d446b38.jpg

Can anyone see any issue with building a box this way? I am sure there are many but would like some opinions. Thanks guys!

Looks like the sub would be firing into the port, which I could see creating some real issues. One of the port walls appear to house the sub which obviously cone of the sub will move, changing the tuning of the enclosure. Not to mention the direction the two sound waves will be trying to move.

Or I'm just looking at it wrong.

Interesting concept though.

I can see it now, an auto-varying port tuning enclosure. the deeper and harder the sub hits, the lower the tuning. LOL

Depending on the Xmax and excursion of the cone, port tuning could be continuously changing up and down +/-2Hz. LOL

My biggest concern would be cancellation issues between the sub and the port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Cancellation may or may not be a problem but that just depends on how much the back wave is delayed. There is an alignment called a re-entry horn wherein the driver is mounted in the "port" but it takes some considerable calculation to achieve.

I wouldn't advise trying it with a conventional vented enclosure unless you're prepared to scrap the whole thing and start over if it doesn't work. If you are... then go for it and let us know how it works.

Pics and vids or it didn't happen. :-)

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

I know I could build one out of scrap from where I work, though the material would be FAR from ideal. I could then toss in one of the old subs I have that are piratically good for nothing more than a paper weight.

I'd just be out time and cost of glue, perhaps a little speaker wire, if i don't reuse it latter, but I could end up with an enclosure of potentially acceptable structural integrity for such an experiment that has no real support in working out well. LOL

Archived