Second Skin Audio

Rookie needs help with burp box

Daboxxstl

And brace the hell out of it

IMHO, this is more important than doing a double wall. If you get your bracing done well enough you won't need to double up anywhere other than the baffle. Google "speaker window braces" for some ideas on how to do the bracing well. I shoot for not more than 10" of unbraced span.

I would also recommend an external port. Doesn't have to be an aero port, but I'd do something that you can easily remove at least part of to change the tuning.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

IMHO, this is more important than doing a double wall. If you get your bracing done well enough you won't need to double up anywhere other than the baffle. Google "speaker window braces" for some ideas on how to do the bracing well. I shoot for not more than 10" of unbraced span.

I would also recommend an external port. Doesn't have to be an aero port, but I'd do something that you can easily remove at least part of to change the tuning.

i want to semi disagree. it depends on where port is as well. the port itself can act as a brace.

my box has double layered walls and no bracing and doesnt flex at all. its is all about construction. i also use tongue and groove construction with a quad front baffle and center port. fiberglassed all the corners in addition to glue

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

double wall over bracing...

2 6 inch ports works great on a Tantric HD 15...

I'm runnnig that. 3.8 cubes, 2 6 inch ports, 16.8ish sq/in per cube. Not too peaky but really musical.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

2 6 inch ports works great on a Tantric HD 15...

I'm runnnig that. 3.8 cubes, 2 6 inch ports, 16.8ish sq/in per cube. Not too peaky but really musical.

I'm not needing to play music. It is a strictly burp setup I'm going to build

my box has double layered walls and no bracing and doesnt flex at all. its is all about construction. i also use tongue and groove construction with a quad front baffle and center port. fiberglassed all the corners in addition to glue

I'm sure you box doesn't flex. I'm not saying using double wall construction doesn't work. I know it does and anyone that wants to do that way can get good results. What I'm saying is proper bracing is better than double wall. It will be stronger, uses less material, and will take up less volume. Let me show you why:

Here is a hypothetical box, 32" x 16" internal dimensions, using 3/4" material. This box has a 32" unsupported span on the top and bottom, and a 16" unsupported span on the sides.

Unbraced_zpsc2c3f06d.jpg

If we double up the top and bottom they will be twice as stiff, it will make them equivelent to a 16" unsupported span:

top-bottom_zps81ddfe34.jpg

I can get the same stiffness with just adding one brace though:

single_zps6238320a.jpg

Now if I take this to the next level and put in braces in both directions that are tied together you end up with an extremely stiff box, the longest unbraced span is only just over 10":

mesh_zps2b689e31.jpg

Even a fully double walled box isn't going to be anywhere near as stiff, and will use a lot more material, which is just wasted weight and space:

Fulldouble_zps4baf4153.jpg

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived