Second Skin Audio

Rookie needs help with burp box

Daboxxstl

The iron pipe with flanges works well.

You can also use 1" or larger hardwood dowels. If you use dowels the right way to glue them in is to drill through both sides of the box, put glue inside the holes, and then tap the dowels in. After the glue dries you can cut off the excess that sticks out. This way gives you the most surface area to glue to.

I just build my braces out of MDF. Here is an example of how I do it:

2014-02-12204454_zpsdcd58289.jpg

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Fiberglass is nice for strengthening corners in an enclosure but it won't do much as far as panel bracing unless you use a minimum of 4 layers of ~3oz chop mat over the entire surface... which is a total waste of time and money relative to wooden or all thread braces.

For the power you plan to run, a nice, tight joint with plenty of glue will be strong enough. On a box like that I would use 15 gauge nails as the fasteners and I'd put them about 3' apart. Never underestimate the strength and sealing ability of Titebond II, lol. ← Again... when you have tight joints.

If you don't have tight joints, then a narrow strip of chop mat and resin will suffice to strengthen and seal the corners. But don't use caulk and never... ever, use silicone. The latter provides no appreciable structural benefit and it has almost zero adhesive properties, especially when applied to wood. It also makes a fucking mess of paint work.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

The iron pipe with flanges works well.

You can also use 1" or larger hardwood dowels. If you use dowels the right way to glue them in is to drill through both sides of the box, put glue inside the holes, and then tap the dowels in. After the glue dries you can cut off the excess that sticks out. This way gives you the most surface area to glue to.

I just build my braces out of MDF. Here is an example of how I do it:

2014-02-12204454_zpsdcd58289.jpg

When doing braces such as this how do you calculate displacement?

When doing braces such as this how do you calculate displacement?

When I design the box in SketchUp I plan out the braces in there as well. In SketchUp, if you open up the Entity Info box it will give you the area of any surface you want, from there its pretty easy to calculate the volume. The way I do braces they don't take up much volume at all. They are actually a lot quicker an easier to make than they look too. They don't have to be pretty to be functional and you can cut them out with a jigsaw pretty fast.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived