Second Skin Audio

is .25 cu. ft. too big ok for a 12 inch sealed?

i went ahead and built another enclosure that is 1.05 cubic feet after displacement so its .20 cu ft smaller than recommended..i picked up a 16 ounce bag of poly fil from walmart for damn 3.45$...do i just put it all in the box and call it a day?

Yeah, put it all in.

Honestly with sealed boxes you are never going to hear the difference between a 1.05, 1.25, and 1.5 cu ft box. If I had to pick between the three, I would have stuck with the largest box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I strongly disagree, power becomes a factor but even power considerations aside you're talking about a ~20% variance. It has an effect, whether it changes peak SPL or peak frequency or anything else is situational. But saying 3 sealed boxes each 15% larger than the previous will behave the same as each other is wrong.

I strongly disagree, power becomes a factor but even power considerations aside you're talking about a ~20% variance. It has an effect, whether it changes peak SPL or peak frequency or anything else is situational. But saying 3 sealed boxes each 15% larger than the previous will behave the same as each other is wrong.

I never said they are going to behave the same, I know that they won't, what I said is you would never hear the difference, and I'm sticking with that.

At 30 Hz the largest of the three boxes is only going to have about 1.5 db more output then the smallest of the three. You can't hear a 1.5 db difference. Above 30 Hz the difference in output only decreases.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Personally would have just stuck with the 1.5ft3 sealed you have because of the power level you're running at.. As far as the polyfil, use all of it and just scatter it loosely throughout the box.

2006 Hyundai Sonata Lx

- Alpine CDA-9885

- Rainbow CSX Comps

- (2) 12" Sundown Zv4

- Sundown 5K

- 4.6ft3 @ 33hz w/ 6" aeros sealed off in trunk

- 250a Singer alt, Kinetik 1400, (2) 2400s

- 150.4 @ Dash as of now

I'm surprised no one mentioned that the response on the larger box should be slightly flatter. When going sealed, I always like to build slightly bigger, as it seems to become a bit more musical and rich sounding. Now, there's a point where you go too big, but in OP's case, I don't think .25 will hurt a thing. I actually would bet on it making it sound better with only 300 watts going to it. Like others said, you could always add a 2x4 in there somewhere to eliminate some space... Stay bigger my friend. I bet you like the response more, unless you are going for tight, punchy type bass with no lows, or should I say, weak low's... Just my 2 cents for what it worth.

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Archived